Thread: Semi-Auto PCP's

Feedback Score

Default Semi-Auto PCP's

I've read over the time here that most people say that semi-auto pcp's are jamming etc and are generaly not worth it.

What in them causes them to jam? Is it the magazine's that gets stuck?
    I'm asking because I've got the cheapest semi-auto rifle in the world, or I think so anyway I dont have it long but have put about 300 pellets through it and have not experienced even one jam. This rifles quality can't be compared to the quality of any pcp out there.

I see it sometimes skips a pellet but it only happens when somebody else takes a few shots. I've read that the only reason for a jam on a Crosman 1077 is when the pressure drops too much or when a pellet does not fit tightly or proparly and jams the magazine as its sticking out.

What is the reason for a FX Monsoon for example, to get a jamed magazine or pellet. I can't see this happening on such an expensive rifle..

Feedback Score

The FX Monsoon has some inherent design faults, one being the cheap and nasty plastic magazine. For what it costs I deem it to be one of the biggest airgunning ripoffs of the decade.

I sent one to Antonio Gentilini in Bali [owner of Ginb]
    He practically redesigned the whole trigger sear mechanism to his satisfaction [amongst other modifications] to get the Monsoon to shoot properly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Just the cheap magazine on the FX Monsoon in my opinion.....still a lekker gun for PC.

Feedback Score

The FX Monsoon even though very expensive, is engineering wise, how shall I put it.............crap!

They jam mostly because they use the same air from the clyinder to index the mag. Once the air runs low the mag does not index properly causing pellet jams. I have also seen FX Monsson owners shooting rapidly with it resulting in 2 pellets firing at once resulting in internal damage of the rifle. The bolt housing is stupidly enough made of aluminium, causing the bolt to literally erode making jams even more prone

As a hunting rifle, when the FX Monsoon works as it should it is ace! With a 30ft/lbs semi auto .22 airgun blasting away even a speeding bunny has no chance. Unfortunately it's flaws outwiegh it's advantages. In Malta many FX Monsoons have been sold and I have not known of a single one of them not experiencing any type of trouble! Another drawback is it's accuracy! Nothing to shout about with half to three quarter inch groupings at 35m! Good enough for hunting though!

I would stay away from it like the plague! What were the Swedes thinking when they designed this rifle I still wonder to this very day!!!!!
    Last edited by luger; 01-06-10 at 15:49.

Feedback Score

So other brands don't suffer the same problem?
    What else is available?

Dale is offline Sharp Shooter
    The Professor
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne1 View Post
    I'm asking because I've got the cheapest semi-auto rifle in the world, or I think so anyway
    What you have is a revolver hidden inside a rifle - not a true semi auto - that is why it works reliably.

Dale is offline Sharp Shooter
    The Professor
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by luger View Post
    Another drawback is it's accuracy! Nothing to shout about with half to three quarter inch groupings at 35m! Good enough for hunting though!
    Unfgbelievable - I keep hearing statements like this.

Why is it considered acceptable to hunt with a rifle with accuracy that you would not use for FT?

Do shooters consider effecting a clean kill less important than a point on a score card?
    Last edited by Yeti; 01-06-10 at 16:30.

Feedback Score

I am in full agreement!
    Lessons learnt in blood are not easily forgotten

Feedback Score

I had the opportunity to play with one of these some time back!

I was most unimpressed. At every shot a blast of air would come back and smack me in the face! Very unpleasant ! ! !

Lessons learnt in blood are not easily forgotten

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Unfgbelievable - I keep hearing statements like this.

Why is it considered acceptable to hunt with a rifle with accuracy that you would not use for FT?

Do shooters consider effecting a clean kill less important than a point on a score card?
    Half an inch is what? 12mm! I don't think that 12mm to the left or right between the eye and ear of a rabbit with 30ft/lbs in .22 will make such a difference to a bunny, he will be dead stone anyway. Same goes for a squirrel for example! I said not accurate and nothing to shout about when comparing with a match barreled FT rig! We are talking about 30ft/lbs here not 12ft/lbs and in .22 cal! A little less accuracy will still ensure a clean kill in the KZ of quarry!

Sorry that we disagree on this one Dale but that is what I can say from what I see with my own eyes!

Feedback Score

bottom line is ...stay away from the Monsoon..

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    What you have is a revolver hidden inside a rifle - not a true semi auto - that is why it works reliably.
    Yip, the CO2 does not turn the magazine and cock the action. Your finger does

For the price, its a very enjoyable little gun.

Feedback Score

Glad to see you're enjoying it - they're huge fun! MY CP99 jams all the time but the 1077 never did. At that price I reckon they're very underrated.
    AA S400 MPR-FT with new Big Nikko 10-50x60

Feedback Score

Yes, its for the price really a nice toy. I don't regret buying it for one moment.
    Now I just wonder what aftermarket parts are available for it? I've seen a bulk-full adapter on e-bay for this rifle. But the seller did not mention shotcount etc.

Feedback Score

Well, you could get a big buddy bottle and I'm sure the shot count would be great. Cheap to refill too.
    AA S400 MPR-FT with new Big Nikko 10-50x60