Thread: Benchrest shooting my springer

Default Benchrest shooting my springer

After reading about how benchrest shooters shoot with a springer I tried the same this weekend and wow it works. Ive always held the rilfe the same way , just using the bench to support my elbows , wrist and chest. The result was good , but this weekend I set it up so that Im only touching the rifle with my right hand and the rifle could glide smoothly back under recoil . The result were very good , I managed to burst 5 baloons using only 6 pellets at 142m .
    Elated at discovering this I continued to shoot like this for most of the weekend and the cans also tumbled delightfully at 80 - 100m .

Then Yesterday I set up targets so that I shoot down at an angle of about 15 degrees , and thats where the wheels came off the wagon. I couldnt hit anything. The downwards angle of the rifle on the rest made it recoil completely different and inconsistent. I reverted to my usual hold but I had lost the touch a bit and it took quite a while till I could get it right.

So yes , letting it glide smoothly back with minimal touching the rifle like described in other threads works better for benchrest shooting , but I am back to my old way of shooting as it is better practice for my real shooting.

Johan Mk1 is offline Administrator
    Rest in Peace Johan - 07/11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Then Yesterday I set up targets so that I shoot down at an angle of about 15 degrees , and thats where the wheels came off the wagon. I couldnt hit anything. The downwards angle of the rifle on the rest made it recoil completely different and inconsistent. I reverted to my usual hold but I had lost the touch a bit and it took quite a while till I could get it right.

So yes , letting it glide smoothly back with minimal touching the rifle like described in other threads works better for benchrest shooting , but I am back to my old way of shooting as it is better practice for my real shooting.
    I do a lot of rodent control downhill. I don't use the same setup as for bench.

I take a canvas bank bag thats been filled with rice and balance the gun on this in such a way that it's aimed more or less at the target. From there it's a light handhold to aim exactly and a light touch to the trigger.
    C6H12O62 CH3CH2OH + 2 CO2

Sniperdad is offline Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '09/'10
    National FT Champ '10

You will notice that any shot at angle, be it up or down will cause you to shoot higher. I always aim lower at angled shots. Try it.
    Steyr Hunting 5 / Zos 10-40x60

I know about the higher shooting on angled shots , but in this case it was not consistent. Im talking about ateep angles , the gun wanted to slide forward in the rest.