Thread: Cannon 737

Feedback Score

Default Cannon 737

I am planning a camping trip and would like to bring a air rifle along to bag something for the pot. I can't really shoot a springer well and don't want to bring a a scuba tank along. I am thinking of getting a multi-stroke pump (I used my toy pump master once but i had to get within 10m for a clean kill, might as well use a springer) and am looking into buying a Cannon 737. Has anyone used one? How good is it? does the brass barrel last?

Feedback Score

eekk...rather get a PCP and take along a pump
    Top 10 reasons why I procrastinate: -1

Feedback Score

The Cannon 737 is based on the old Sharp Innova, which was a highly respected air rifle. Lightweight, compact, recoilless and accurate with no reliance on external power sources.

I bought one from Hennie's shop off Zambesi Drive in Pta back in May as a present for my host's son, it struck me as a well made copy capable of decent level of accuracy. the brass barrel should be fine, Benjamin/Sheradin use brass and bronze barrels to good effect on their rifles.

Give it two pumps and it was fine for plinking, put 10 pumps in and it has quite a belt for hunting. If you don't plan on firing huge numbers of shots then it will be fine. A good little rifle for the price (about R1000), add a small scope and mounts and it will be a nice little 'camp' gun.

Dale
    A wise man has something to say, a fool has to say something.

People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Feedback Score

Gerry's got one.........i've had a few shots with it........exactly as Dale described above. it should make a nice 'camp' gun.

personally i would rather get a pcp pump........no need to find a new scope/learn the characteristics of the rifle/find the right pellet/learn the trajectory........etc b4 it's ready for the field.
    AA EV2 MK1 / AA S400 GinB .177 / Daystate MK4iS-ST .20

Feedback Score

So instead of pump it 10 times/shot I pump it 800 times to get to 180bar...... Ouch.

So the Cannon 737 is OK then? One reason I don't want to bring my PCP/CO2 rifles is that they are too bulky with scope (one has a 10-40x50 and the others 12X44AO and I don't feel like taking them off) and the mag is too high. I was thinking of getting a Cannon or crosman 2100 and mount a 4X32 for hunting out to 30m plus lots of plinking with my climbing mates (who I trust with my life but not my PCP).

Feedback Score

rather get a cheap springer..a BSA lightning perhaps..

Feedback Score

If I had a choice between the Cannon 737 and a Lightning ............. hmmm........ I would go with the Cannon - my experiences with Lightnings to date is not favourable (and they aren't 'cheap&#039, now if we were talking an HW99S then that would be a different matter, but the HW would be way more expensive.

Comparing Cannon to the Crosman - the 737 is way better, fitted with a little 4x32 I think it would be spot on for what you have in mind. For the occasional hunting shot give it 8-10 pumps, for plinking 2-3 pumps is perfect and requires very little effort. To give you some idea the one I bought was a birthday present for my friend Nic Roets's 7yr old son who was able to easily put in 3 pumps!

Dale

People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Feedback Score

Springer crossed my mind but I think it is easier for my buddies to make a clean kill with a pump up than a springer (otherwise I could just take my cheap B-2 and make them suffer). So Guido, why are you against the pump ups, it that anything I should know?

BTW 1 other reason againtst PCPpump is that my climbing mate have never touched a PCP and that means I will be the only one doing the pumping.......

Just how much is a BSA lighting anyway?

Feedback Score

Hi Dale,
    There is another little champion in the making. I saw him shoot a pistol and rifle at Brits with his dad and mom.
    Take note! A man's being is not judged by the size of his possessions.

"The best relationship is not the one that brings together perfect people, but when each individual learns to live with the imperfections of others and can admire the other person's good qualities"

Feedback Score

How about a nice HW40 pistol ? Very packable.
    Just keep your shots inside 15M.

Feedback Score

Personally I don't see there is any problem with a decent quality pump rifle, provided you are not needing to take a large number of higher power shots in quick succession.

When I talk about a quality pump up rifle I would mean the Sharps/Sheridan (also Benjamin if still available) rifles - the current Crosman and Daisy rifles are mostly cheap plinkers nothing more.

As the Cannon is a copy of a good design and is pretty well made I would rate it as a good little rifle, no it is not the equal of an S400, but then it is not designed to be.

Gerrie, I agree in respect of little Nic, give him a few years and I reckon he will be very good.

Feedback Score

My Cannon is a great plinker , not pile driving accuracy , not the greatest trigger , but for all round fun its great .

Not much point of impact variation between 3 & 6 pumps up to
    20 metres . So if you're fooling about in the back yard , 3 pumps is all you need .

It takes a fair bit of strength to get it up to 8 pumps & you'll only do it once or twice in an arvey . Problem is your arm muscles take so much punishment , you gotta wait for the muscles to stop shaking before your high power shot .

Then I wonder if it was my arms that caused the lack of accuracy or the extreme speed of the pellet .

All in all I like mine , but its never going to be a replacement for my S 400 .

I got it to carry in the bakkie behind the seat , so I could do my vermin eradication thing while out & about at pump stations ( taking out indian mynas )

However , due to my imminent move to UK , I dont believe I can bulldust the authorities into believing that I'll never get it above the 12 f/lb limit , ( without serious arm shake ) so it'll have to remain behind in SA. I think the UK authorities are a little more switched on in these issues .