Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting a FWB 601 to FT rifle.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Its a 601 single stroke pneumatic, I think you have confused it with the 300 series of sledge system spring guns.
    Not really, I was referring to the brand 'Feinwerkbau' in general, not the model as such, else I would have referred to 'Silver Ghost' or 'Silver Shadow' etc.

Rooies, I'm curious as to the outcome of this endeavor. Regardless of what Solid Works or other CAD programs might tell you about the possibility of engineering a check vale, I have the suspicion that when you reach 12fpe the barrel is going to become inaccurate. This a CAD program will not tell. Guess the proof of the pudding lies in the eating

Robbie here on the forum has gone through the pain and lengths of converting an Anschutz 6Fpe rilfe to 12fpe, only to find that the barrel was actually designed for optimum accuracy at 6fpe.

I suspect that barrel grooving and twist rate is optimised for a specific pellet speed when it comes to 10m precision rifles.

The results from your experiment will shed some light I hope.
    Last edited by DvdM; 19-02-14 at 09:30.
    The best and most enjoyable airrifle ever built: The rifle your budget realistically allows you to afford right now.

Adrianv is offline Marksman
    MOT: Oom A's Airguns
    Feedback Score

Many have tried to convert P700's to 12fpe. Horrid poi shifts. As DvdM says, these rifles have been optimised to win gold at 10m.
    Oom A's Airrifles 084 012 3282 212 Verster St Lillyvale A/H

Art of Shooting a Springer

Feedback Score

I see... mechanical dominoes...

Good luck always nice to see something from left field...
    Proudly shooting a springer... don't hold it against the springer

Feedback Score

I'm considering the fact that the twist rate in the barrel is optimised for low velocity. I'm just trying to determine the current compression ratio of the rifle to get an idea of the pressure and volume that it currently utilises to produce 650fps. Once this is known I would know what is needed to to up the MV. It might turnout to be a very simple tweak but judging from the feedback here I still have a mountain to climb. Rest assure all avenues will be investigated. At the moment though thing are going very slow since my day job is not modifying air rifles but planning mega construction projects and as it is we are now in a very tight spot on one of them so the available free time is not abundant.
    Both eyes on the target.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by DvdM View Post
    you have a Rolls Royce of 10m springers there
    Quote Originally Posted by DvdM View Post
    Not really, I was referring to the brand 'Feinwerkbau' in general, not the model as such, else I would have referred to 'Silver Ghost' or 'Silver Shadow' etc.
    I see so you meant 10m rifles not 'springers' as you wrote initially.
    A wise man has something to say, a fool has to say something.

People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianv View Post
    Many have tried to convert P700's to 12fpe. Horrid poi shifts. As DvdM says, these rifles have been optimised to win gold at 10m.
    When you say POI shift do you mean inconsistency in POI? Because that could have a range of root causes. Starting with inconsistent pressurisation or volume intake from the pump to mention just the first two that comes to mind. Should that be the case a pressure regulator would be the only solution and that could be a big problem since there is very little space available to play with.
    Both eyes on the target.

Feedback Score

I believe that if all the problems or snags are considered and sound engineering solutions can be implemented this project can still be doable. So please feel free to voice all the problems and snags that could be or have been encountered. That is the only way to be sure that all the bases have been covered. I want to handle this as a concept study and if at the end of the day the answer is that it is impossible then so be it. But I'm not going to just abandon this without even trying.
    Both eyes on the target.

Feedback Score

Nice project Rooies.
    Concerning the barrel and its rifling twist rate:
    I do not know about Feinwerkbau barrels. But I have converted 2 Walther PCP's (LG200 and a LG300) from 7,5 to 16 joule and the accuracy from the original barrels is on par with my Walther LG300 Dominator, Steyr LG110 FT and Airarms EV2. So I would not worry about the barrel to much.

The FX Indy may give you some clues as how to engineer the double stroke valve. See the pictures here: (scroll about half the way down): http://forum.guns.ru/forum_light_message/96/612579.html

Feedback Score

Try doing a search on the IZH46 pistol. Some have been converted to multi-stroke.
    I am generally opposed to taking a fine purpose built rifle and turning it into an embarrassment that spends the rest of time buried at the back of the closet.

Feedback Score

After all the words of discouragement Rooies must by now be thinking by himself; "F%^Ken los my nou uit, dis MY geweer, kan met hom maak wat ek wil"
    Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted!
    The best and most enjoyable airrifle ever built: The rifle your budget realistically allows you to afford right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12