Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifled barrels are crap!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Rifled barrels are crap!!

Every time the pellet races down the barrel, it picks up speed and starts spinning due to the rifling.
    Now because the pellet is spinning the centrifugal force will upset the atomic balance. Electrons will break away from their atomic clusters and will be left behind in the barrel as lead deposits. How does this affect shooting?
    Well, an 8,4gr pellet will exit barrel weighing only 8.3999999999999999999999999gr. Surely that must upset the balance of the pellet and destabilize it in flight?

So here is the solution, coat your pellets with Teflon and get rid of the rifling in your barrel.

What do you all think? Am I on to something here?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Told yoy the cold water in Hermanus will reduce the size of all thinking parts on a man. Now we have proof.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Spike
    In my opinion the centrifugal force and radius of spin is way too small and slow to have any significant influance on the weight of the pellet. The speed at which the pellet engages the rifling will have more of an effect as increased speed equates increased friction resulting in lead being stripped.
    In the Muzzle Loading fraternity this problem is often encountered because of the pure lead used in conicals which is soft so as to obturate under pressure and engage the rifling. This engagement of the rifling also leads to lead fouling which has to be managed by vigerous cleaning. In order to minimise the effect of leading in the bore, the rifle bore is lapped using a fine lapping compound (Note that this is not good practice in an air rifle). After the barrel has been lapped and cleaned, the barrel is heated with boiling water and while hot, dried. A teflon based oil is applied to the bore and the barrel slowly rolled until cool. The teflon oil enters the pores in the steel and provides a protective low friction layer. In the case of air rifles there may be a case for research and application provided that the barrel is clean and can be removed from the action.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Shooters Choice FP10....the US FT shooters have been using it for decades to lube their pellets ans so have I.
    Pledge Furniture Wax spray also good.

Stay away from Teflon and silicon in airgun barrels.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

For those of you I'm thought I was being serious, I wasn't..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Electrons are bonded to their individual atoms, to strip off there must be some current flow through the object in question, ie Lead pellet, to break the co-valent bond, . If there is current flow then an electron will travel to the + pole and will be replaced by another from the -pole, you cant leave an electron behind. I doubt whether the amount of lead atoms left in the barrel will adversly affect the stability of the pellet to any great extent. But, should Chuck Norris decide to take a deep breath then all pellets fired at that moment will be deflected from there trajectory and be drawn to his mouth, hopefully blowing his stupid head off and my Virginity will remain intact. Ha! What do you say to that Guido?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

:rofl :rofl

oi, stop that.........all that electron/covalent bond crap.........it's bring back CEM203W nightmares......my head hurts now.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brian, but if you remove enough electrons you will end up with a negatively charged pellet. Due to the earths magnetism the pellet should be able to cross the equator and head for the north pole!
    So, in theory the pellet will pick up speed as it approaches the north pole, so if my calculations are correct, it should be travelling at close to mach 3.7 before impact. How many ft/lbs is that again?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

you guys are getting into singularity theory territory...
    and I think Chuck has visited this forum once or twice so beware of his omnipotence...

Chuck Norris's girlfriend once asked him how much wood a woodchuck could
    chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood. He then shouted, "HOW DARE YOU RHYME IN THE PRESENCE OF CHUCK NORRIS!" and ripped out her throat. Holding his girlfriend's bloody throat in his hand he bellowed, "Don't !&$% with Chuck!" Two years and five months later he realized the irony of this statement and laughed so hard that anyone within a hundred mile radius of the blast went deaf.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

North pole is UP Spyker, everyone knows the pellet will slow down, stop and fall back to hit you in the eye, or something...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Well actually there was this brilliant device I installed in one of my previous cars - it was featured on Beyond 2000 yonks ago - called a Rustbuster 2000. It pulsed additional electrons thru the car's body thru a cappacitance method. This flood of electrons in the metal halted/prevented corrosion. Wish I could lay my grubby paws on a few more of these...
    Anyway, dats da solution: everytime you go shooting you stay near the car & hook up some jumper leads to the gun. That'll feed the pellet additional electrons. At the same time we take the FT target and magnetize the target spot. Now we have a magnetized target and negatively charged pellet... Bingo!!!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Gentlemen it is time for your medication - pass the mampoer please :-)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You have to be weaned onto that slowly Dale or it melts your thinking equipment, the name of which I have trouble remembering

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

But now more seriously, anyone got an idea exactly what is in those tiny EXPENSIVE little bottles of pellet lube, you know, the red stuff, that one can get at gunshops? Is it any good or is it bad for a rifle in any way?
    And, if OK to use, then would it be OK to just drip a few drops into the pellet tin 'n slosh it around like 'till all of 'em coated?
    Lemme know what you guys think.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Fucius...in your RX2...try the Pledge Furniture wax spray on your pellets.