Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air gun accuracy

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Air gun accuracy

I would like to find out from the people using steyers,ev2's,walthers and feinwerkbau's.What kind of accuracy do you get from your guns? Considering 5/10shot groups at an average distance of 50 yards/meters? With what pellets? Any input would be appreciated.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

4 shots from my ev in the space of about 1 and a 1/2 pellet width at 50 yards(its for sale)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

steyr lg110 hp 5 shots at 50 meters

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

boondok ive seen s400 group better than that nearly every time :?

oh just noticed it isnt 12ft/ibs

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

that was set at 18fpe.

should make difference if bring down to 12fpe.

ice's Avatar ice

Hi Moose, did you shoot the sub 7mm, 4shot grouping?

I've shot numerious 5shot groupings over a long period of time, which measured about 12-15 mm and that was as good as it got, but never ever one that measured less than 10mm @ 50! and i've used Steyr's, EV's and S400's.

Personally i'm very satisfied with shots touching each other @ 50, but that don't happen that often.

I suppose it boils down to skill? or otherwise that EV is superior to any airgun i've ever shoot with...!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i actually didnt shoot the grouping jason did(with my gun). but i regularly shoot 2 shots into 1 perfect hole @ 50yards
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun Jan 01 2006, 12:34AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

moose regularly shoot 2 shots into 1 perfect hole @ 50yards. very very impressive!

hereby other ev2 owner's story:

http://forum.weapons.be/attachment.php?s=&postid=14260

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...81e93f&t=44088

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun Jan 01 2006, 01:09AM ]</span>

REP: Airgun Warehouse

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I have been in this accuracy business for more than 40 years now mainly .22 and .177.Can remember clamping first Anschutz 220 air rifle in bench in 1962 and trying all sorts of things to improve on what Anschutz had spent many years in perfecting.

I would like to say that we distribute the most accurate air rifles available but I cannot say that as there are no absolutes in this game and as soon as you think you've conquered the World some unknown factor upsets the applecart.

Accuracy in shooting is a lifelong journey and if it was so easy as to produce the best in the stroke of a wand we would not be debating here.It is a most interesting and rewarding hobby and you never stop learning.A stock standard gun out of the box can be a oneholer.I have seen the most expensive German rifle not group satisfactorily and the replacement just as bad and one week later some Yank wins a major competition with a similar gun.

Improve what you own,improve your technique, experiment, only then consider buying up.Sure!--your chances of success will be much better with the recognised winners and the statistics available will give you a good start but the state of perfectness that you dream of is still far away.When you do find that magic gun do'nt sell it ---ever!!!

I still spend much of my time around this science and will willingly discuss or assist anybody who is interested in sharing the little knowledge that I have accumulated.I don't believe either that many people have made or witnessed as many cockups as I have!

In the short space of time we have been back in the unregulated situation some shooters in SA have done tremendous work in researching this accuracy topic unfortunately the really advanced ones are not seen much of on this forum but there are one or two that now and again emerge, take note of their findings?

To categorically state that A brand Is better than B is a ridiculous statement to say the least!

Enjoy the trip!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with importer. Just because one rifle doesn't group properly doesn't mean all of them are rubbish. That's what normally happens. Someone feeds their new rifle a certain diet of pellets, but are not bothered to try other makes of pellets. What happens? You get shotgun groups at 30m and then they all cry wolf!
    If you can safely say you've tried all the quality pellets available and have checked your scope mounting system but are still not achieving satisfactory results, the first thing you should do is contact the distributors. You might have a bad barrel or busted o-ring.
    Going around telling everybody how you were conned into buying this rubbish does nothing good for the brand and the sport in general.

ice's Avatar ice

So Louis, what's the best grouping you ever managed @ 50m with airgun?

REP: Airgun Warehouse

User Info Menu

Hi Ice,

We use a test bench when we really get serious at 50yds.
    We will only report on products we sell..
    We only shoot our own pellets AA and JSB.--batched and hand selected.

3 Rifles come to mind which we did quite extensive tests on and for very real reasons.
    An Anschutz 2025 which was a dog until we coverted it to 2020 specs.
    EV2 .
    The original MPR prototype which will be used this year in FT competition.Basically a S400 with different trigger, stock and different profile barrel.
    All three these rifles regularly went sub 10mm outer to outer with 10 shots in still conditions.

I said extensive testing---we regularly shoot FWB,Steyr and various S400's from the normal bench which rifles I am sure would do the same.

Farmer from Koppies scored 5000/5000 in official benchrest competition with a S 400 which had been through the hands of Nick Jenkinson.Hitting a BR 50 bull with 50 pellets is a mind boggling fete.

We have no experience with other products save above.

Gentleman down your way has a bevy of high power German guns and has done a huge amount of experimenting too and at very long distances--talk to him!

Enjoy your experimenting!

Mike.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Jan 02 2006, 04:30PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My nice new LG110 went down the range the first day out of the box. After a quick line up I thought here we go. the 2nd shot I thought I had missed completely at 30 mtrs, I didnt, it had gone through the same hole. I did it again at further distances. This was off a sand bag but I reckon from a decent benchrest it would have shot much the same out to 50mtrs. Pellets: JSB's straight out the tin.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brian, are you sure you didn't miss the target completely??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dont get smart, I'm not that bad a shot. Actually there was a metal post behind the target out at 50mtrs and I heard the slug hit it so I know it went through the paper and there was only one hole. Maybe you and I should get together and do a test one day, what do you say?