Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Field Target season tips?

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

Default New Field Target season tips?

hi all :awais :1zhelp
    with the start of the FT season fast approaching, i would appreaciate as much help as possible.

what is the best range to zero at for our ranges? :bowdown

is it better to dial in with the scope or to use the mildots on the scope?

what additional equipment will make my life easier on the range eg pillow to sit on etc?

you help will be appreciated.
    thanks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Errol

Now that I've attended 2 FT shoots, I'm quite the expert!!! :bowdown

For my second shoot, I cut off a piece of an old roll-mat (those thin, dehydrated camping mats) and used it to sit on. It certainly makes aiming easier, when you're not thinking about how much your butt hurts!

The only problem with the mat is that in a bit of a wind you risk having it blow away. :cursin

Of course, you may want to go for the full cushion route. It seems for most things it's just a matter of personal preferences.

Cheers
    -b

Darkness's Avatar Darkness

to the experts
    Is there any limitation to how big or high this cushion is?

Please help us(the beginners) with as many tips as possible :dunno

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Errol,

Re: zeroing distance - this is something you need to decide on what suits you. I have always set my rifles up for a primary zero at 35 yards, and after 16 years of it, I am so used to that set up I am happy to stick with it.

In dialling vs mil-dots, I would lean towards dialling for FT as being far more precise as you set the dialling up precisely to match your trajectory. The mil-dots 'fit where they touch' on your trajectory. Also consider what happens when you have to aim off for wind - when dialling you always set to the centre of the reticle for elevation and you can then use the horizontal wire for wind correction. Using dots will require you to aim off at an arbitrary point - not easy to do.

Additional equipment - a spirit bubble is highly recommended you can lose a lot of points through canting without realising you are doing it.

On the subject of a cushion - a decent seat can make a whole world of difference. IMO the best form of seat is a bag filled with polystyrene beads (as used in soft toys etc), when you sit on this form of seat the bag spreads out and offers some lower back support. In terms of maximum seat size - consult the SAFTAA rules, this should be covered there.

Hope this is of help.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi all

Regarding dialling - it's something I've been considering for a little while. My reasons are precisely as Dale mentioned - being able to be more precise, and avoiding having to aim in arb space if there's wind blowing.

However, I'm concerned about how well the Lynx will handle it (10-50x60). How many of you out there are using this scope and dialling, and is there anyone who thinks its a bad idea (and why). I seem to remember Avion mentioning a specific technique to it too?

Thanks
    -b

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The Lynx 10-50 should be fine, I had a Nikko version that dialled without problem. It is always worth dialling a few clicks past the settting you want and coming back down to it to allow for any backlash in the system.

Dale

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

:claphead
    thanks guys, hope it makes me a better shot. :jester

Sonic's Avatar Sonic

I have a leepers 4-16 X 50 Can I dial in with this?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Well phumelelo if you dont try it you wont know if it works for you.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dialing? erf? Zero at ranges? Mildots?!

erf im soo lost... all i know is i've got a gamo pellet gun and a scope... which i need to get focused -set up *sigh* :dunno But erf Is there a Airgun Dictionary available? :nervous :dunno hehe

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

wesley the closest thing that i have is a document i found on the web that discribes the basic way to set up your rifle for ft.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Pop in at a shoot.In a few minutes you can find out all sorts of special tips.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i'm by no means an expert, but this is what i've learnt last year.

know the trajectory......10mm killzone up to 15m, 20mm to 30m, 30mm to 40m....etc use the sighting system that u r most compfortable with. personally i prefer dial-in, but mildots works just as well (look at jason) albeit maybe a bit harder.

some sort of pellet holder/pouch and beanbag/cushion (iirc max height = 5&quot is highly recommended :thumbsup

try not to shoot on an empty stomach, even more shakes... the again, but don't push the envelope :blueyes
    and ideally have a nice dump b4 the shoot. !amazed

"easy" targets counts just as much as the hard ones......

familiarize the routine.....eg, get in the right position, range, adj, load, aim, shoot, follow through....etc

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Hey Urabus , dont want all the newbs kicking our ar$es.We will have to pick up our game. !amazed

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Get yourselves to a shoot Newbies, there are plenty of willing teachers and you'll get some good advice. I dont mind admitting it, Mildots dont work very well for me. Take the time to set up at a range and play about until you find which you like. Some guys say that Mildots work differently at different magnifications which means that I have to carry a calculator around instead of my idiot guide. Both my Nikko and Lynx are 10-50X60 and I have no hassle dialling them.