Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with scope setup

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Problem with scope setup

Hi all

Got a bit of a problem with my new scope setup. Got myself a NS 6-24X56 with Sport-match mounts for my S400. The gun was shooting very low but I was able to get it to zero at 23m but I just about ran out of upward clicks, surly this cant be right.
    Any suggestions?

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

neal i had a simmilar problem but to the left. i took the scope off and counted the click and resentered them, mounted the scope and all seams to be fine.

the only other sujestion is to put higher mounts on.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

use a shim...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Whats a shim?

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

a shim is small piece of negative film, cut a piece of film to match the mount. open the mount and place the shim between the scope and the front mount this will have the affect of lifting the front.

you can use more than one piece, just be carefull when refitting the top ring as not to tighten to tight.
    hope this helps.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Shot Errol

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

err..he will want to lower the front of the scope since the rifle is shooting low...so Neal you need to put the shim between the scope on the bottom of the rear mount

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

oops thanks guido, got my barings all cockied

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yes, if you can't raise the POI enough (ie run out of clicks), put shims on lower part of the back mount.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Will do, thanks.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The other option is to have a set of custom mounts/ bases made with a calculated angle built in.

I had a simmilar problem with my FWB P70 and Thor Engineering in Pretoria made a set for me.

Just depends on how much height is needed. If you shim too much you stand a chance of dammaging the scope as the front and back rings are creating a step. Tightening the rings can then exert a heck of a lot of torque that the scope was not designed to withstand.

Negative is that you would probably not be able to use such mounts on any other rifle...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

eeish, plinker, when did you sneak that P70 in???? nice one.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi guys

I had the same problem, but was concerned about crunching the scope tube. On various people's recommendations I put a thin piece of folded-up tin foil (although I'm sure the film spacer will work too) between the mount and the rifle mounting rail. It's only a very thin spacer, so there was still plenty of room for the dove-tail to grip the mounting rail.

Works fine for me, and means that the scope is not having its tube crushed. Had to fiddle a bit with how many folds of tin foil to use though. Mission!

-b

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I presume that you have tried reversing front & rear mounts . Also check to make sure that you have the correct base & cap . Also you will find that some of them have a smal centre pop that you line up the cap with the base .
    I am using Thor mounts on my S400 . Also was a bit high , sorted by reversing front & rear mounts .
    They look really well made , but there may be a microscopic variation in the CNC machining , I know they build in tolerance for tool wear , who knows . But any of the above solutions work well , dont let it stress you .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What do you mean with the correct base and cap Gerry? I have also senterd the scope again but just to confirm, can any body els tel me how many vertical clics does the 6-24X56 NS. I got 160 vertical and 200 horizontal. Can any body confirm?