Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX2000?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default FX2000?

hello guys.....

looking at one of these with the schnabel fore-end + grade 3 turkish walnut...etc must say, the more traditional sporter lines of the stock is rather refreshing.

question for the owners......what sort of shot count do you get? at what power levels? and the type of silencer used?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Urabus , I just dont like the sound the rifle makes.

Only ever saw 1 at a FT shoot at Leeukop.Lets hope Plinker can give you the low down

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

From my own experience with a rifle from the same manufacturer (that I bought because I like the look of), I would say that you will not be getting any advantage over the rifles you already have.

Drop me an e-mail if you want some more in depth info.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Urabus

I have to agree with Dale that the FX would probably not do anything better than the toys you already have. Except maybe add some looks. To me it is the most stunning toy out there, especially the wood - superb.

At 12ft/lb she will give approx 60 good shots and with Accupells it is no great deal to shoot 12mm @ 50 from a bench (5 shots)

The P70 has taken over 12ft/lb duty so I took the brakes of the FX to run at 1040 fps with Crosman Premier 10.4's. This is not the max you can get out of her but accuracy starts falling. At this setting you get 30 good shots , 20mm @ 50

At Jasons recomendation I turned it down a bit again to now run at 980fps with the heavies to give 40 shots, 15mm @ 50

So yes if I read the other reports of 5mm groups from S4x0s it is not in the same accuracy class.

Several thousand shots later not a single malfunction.

The only thing that takes getting used to is the cocking action - the bolt is pulled back to rotate the magazine (make sure you do it all the way, I made the mistake when I just got her) the cocking of the action is done on the forward stroke. Not a pain but different.

Negatives
    The trigger is not the lightest and not suited to serious target work. It is however crisp and consitent and perfect for hunting.
    It is LONG, fitted with a weirauch silencer it is quiet but it is a bit of a pain in confined spaces.

Will I swap mine. Not a chance

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey Plinker, tks for the input, much appreciated.

yes, i really fancy the classic styling of the FX2000. something different to the much chunkiness of my other air rifles. i can already see it....hand rubbing that stock :drool :drool

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I had mine for about two months now and am shooting at 880ft/s with barracudas 10.5 gr. Get between 40 and 50 shot at this power level. Did not have a chance to experiment with it on other power levels yet. Very happy with it, also will not swap or sell it. Shot 36 pigeons one morning on holiday. See my galery.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

18 ftlbs......that's perfect.
    hey MCJ what silencer have you got on?

2 more questions......

what mounts are you guys using, and how do you find the comb height?

i know it's a long rifle......but for what i'm using it for, i don't think it's an issue.....but hows the balance. i've only handled "unscoped" ones.

btw, what the going rate/retail for one of these beauts in joburg?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I use Thor mounts with the lynx and when hunting rats I swop the lynx for a Hawk Nite eye held on by Sportsmatch mounts.

Try to mount the scope as low as possible (the magazine is rather small so not an issue) as the comb is rather low. When I used the big 10-50 on the FX that was my only gripe as your cheeck will not hit the same spot on the stock without conscious effort.

The current setup with low mounts however is perfect.

As far as balance is concerned don't worry, I think because it is so long it does not seem to care what size scope you put on it. It just feels right no matter what.

Not sure of current pricing, bought mine from Twin Bore for under KR8 including silencer

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I'm using a Leapers 4-16x56 with leapers mounts and it clears the barrel with 1/2" to spare. See the photo in my gallery called "Piet Retief". Still waiting for the 8-32x56 from leapers to come out. This would be just to get accurate range findings on longer shots.

I using a custom build silincer that I ordered from Suburban Guns in CT. It works very effectively.

Another thing to consider is that the FX's 8 shot mag removes from the righs hand side which means that you can fit the big wheel. The S410 ERB removes from the left which means you can not fit the big wheel should you want to.

Something else which let me choose the FX over the ERB is the fact that the possibility exist that one could accidentely adjust the power setting on the ERB while putting it back in its case or cleaning it or....as it is on the outside of the rifle and have endless trouble when you get to the hunt. With the FX it is hidden and can not be adjusted accedentally.

I bought it second hand so I do not know the new price. Been Webley, I got some spare springs form the agent in JHB. Very quick service. No problems.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That problem is easy to fix. My ERB has a hole drilled and tapped with a setscrew in.
    Anyway, I've yet to tighten that screw so I can adjust my power anytime I want. Not that I ever do in anyway. Whats the use of a high power rifle if you turn the power down? Might as well buy the S400 classic then. Problem is, the minute you start playing with the power level, you have to adjust your scope. Way too much work for me!

I have never bumped or adjusted the power setting of my ERB by accident. EVER!

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I hear you Spyker and thank you for the input. The power adjustments issuse was just a personal concern of mine and i would still not buy the rifle due to that and the fact that the mag removes from the left hand side. I am sure that AA will not design something that has not been tested properly, but as a shooter you will always have to be aware of the adjustment screw and make sure that you do not adjust it.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Spyker...I think the set screw might be a good idea.

I also use the S400ERB on full power only so at least I know the setting is always the same...but if I wanted to put that setting wheel half-way for say 18ft\lbs I could never be sure it is in exactly the right spot.

I have ordered some .20 24" HW barrels and am going to get a local gunsmith\benchrester to fit it to the S400ERB.
    His S410FAC with the HW barrel I gave him shoots 14gr Barracuda .20s at 1000fps and 25.6gr Dae Sungs at 840fps...do the math!!
    He even converted the S410 mag to .20 and it works perfectly!

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

Is the set screw still present with the .20 barrel, Guido?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yes...the barrels will also be interchangeable...

REP: Airgun Warehouse

User Info Menu

MCJ,

Users up here of 410 E's with big wheels cut a slot in the wheel no problem.
    Guido's experience in jacking power up and down willy nilly is a true reflection of what happens in real life.Spare yourself the pain.