Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: now i know

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default now i know

not only import air rifle required permit.

and customs see the damn wooden stock as air rifle parts. so they want permit for stock.

but the worst is even pellets required permit.

bloody hell :cursin

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

is this new? when you bought in the Air Force, you didn't need a permit? did you?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I think it happens when you import under a company name and not as an individual...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

AF rifle was send by post office. released and no question asked.no permit required.

now. few rifles and stocks came by sea freight container. wooo... nightmare....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Mmmmm, yes, more than one rifle at a time plus spares etc and under a business name/address = They will regard you as a dealer and you have to apply for import permits as well as pay the appropriate duty under the applicable tarrif code.
    I've got some pellets and oil coming in from Australia shortly via normal post. Have done this before without any problems, so I will let know if I encounter any problems this time round.
    But, getting one gun at a time via normal post to a private address should not be a problem - have done it before.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ic thanks

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Fucius why you get everythinh from Oz?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Allan,
    Looong story. Couldn't get a Beeman RX-2 in 0.20cal in RSA- just digged the cosmetics & specs of it. The Americans (home of Beeman) were not very eager to help (probably thought I'd take 'em 4 a ride RE credit fraud/terrorist/chancer, Americans don't need the money?), so I found a Beeman agent in Oz whos's willing to oblige. Price worked out great and they're respectable - they even a good word from Jim Macarie on his site :-0
    No-one around our area has another 0.20 (that I know of), so no shop here stocks 0.20 pellets and are only willing to get me H&N FT Trophy/Baracuda on special order. Also, can't get 0.20 felt pellets here.
    Doesn't matter who says what, there's no better oil than Beeman MP5 for preservation of blueing + being synthetic = no degradation of breech seal or any other polymeric bits in and around the gun.
    Variety of pellets in Beeman range is extraordinary (if anyone wants the MINITAB data, I can provide) and the stats I've performed on their weight consistency (small STD.DEV) + low no. of defects & mould quality & cleanliness is superior to H&N - while H&N tries to claim their stuff's the benchmark - ha-ha-hah I laugh at them, shame.
    Robert Beeman started something in the USA and his life story & impact on modern air rifling as a whole is something everyone should be made aware of: http://www.beeman.com.au and:
    http://www.beemans.net/adult_airguns_in_america.htm and:
    http://www.beemans.net
    In a nutshell fancy Beeman springers over the Weihrauch manufacturing companies' so, I get everything that I can't here in these EC backwaters from Oz I guess.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The Beeman springers are rebadged Wiehrauch units with some of them sporting different stocks. Mechanically, they are all the same.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Beeman pellets are rebadged H&N and are absolutely identical.!!
    The RX rifle you have is a restocked HW90..that's all...all the rest of the Beeman rifles are just rebadged German and British rifles...ALL OF THEM
    Don't fall for all that Beeman hype...it's typical american advertising....remember where the majority of evangelists come from...

And don't bother with felt pellets, rather use a pull thru.
    The decreased pressure behind a felt pellet in a springer can also serously damage the internals.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Jan 12 2006, 07:57AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My thoughts exactly.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Regarding the permit, the difference is the fact that it's not handled by the Post Office. The PO has a customs department that does the classification for you (perhaps a bit loosely) while air/sea freight customs areas will require an officially registered customs agent to do the classification and paperwork on your behalf.

These agents won't fudge things and as a result will declare pellets correctly which is to say you'll require a permit (and SAPS also inspects). I went through the same process: pellets/air pistols fine via post office, but required import permit for pellets sent via air freight.

This also adds a lot of costs to the process:
    - shipping company will charge storage while you sort things out
    - customs agent's fee (mine was R600 IIRC, but varies a lot)
    - customs charges where applicable (I think pellets were 10-20%)
    - you'll definitely pay vat.
    And the hassle isn't nice either...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I KNOW that Beeman's are only rebadged HW's maybe with diff stocks... which, again, is why I wanted the RX-2 with its laminated stock - just looks cool 2 me - knew it all along, but as I said on an old posting in 2005, I couldn't get an HW90 in 0.20cal in PE area from anyone, nevermind them knowing what the heck I was talking about - they look at you funny, get a goofy smile and then try to sell ya a 0.177 instead. I won't mention the looks I got when I spoke of "gas-rams".
    Yeah, the mericano's R full of sheize (btw I love Green Day's album "American Idiot&quot, but those okes here that sell rifles, please tell me what you would've charged me 4 a "special import" HW90 in 0.20cal, huh? Then I'll tell you how much it cost me to get it direct with discount in ZAR's after xchange rate.
    Afa pellets go, I also KNOW that the Beeman pellets are H&N's, but the variety of H&N types available on our market is limited in 0.20cal. I don't give 2 hoots as to what anyone says 'bout them pellet quality, the statistics speak for themself. Ito defects, when I finish a tin of H&N's and see the amount of crap mould flashing in bottom of tin + the ridiculous mould flaw lines/ridges and irregularities compared to the cleanliness in a Beeman pellet tin - hardly any flash bits - and definate higher amount of lube coating VISIBLE on the pellets and near perfect moulding lines, then I realise that they also apply what is done a lot in the motor industry: for the sake of customer complaints and ratings, there is a classification/sorting system - best goes this way and lesser quality to those tins over yonder, heh? Who else would complain more about poor quality than the mericano's and esp ME? BTW, I've statistically analysed many a tin of Beeman VS H&N pellets using top of the range STATS software and a laboratory presision scale and guess what, the H&N's have greater weight variation (standard deviation), larger coefficient of variation and wider weight range. Comments?
    In 5 tins labeled H&N I found 4 badly defective pellets, in 5 tins of Beeman's I found 1! All the more proof that behind some factory doors grading/classification systems are applied as we also do in the industry I work for. Statistics don't lie about product performance.
    For merino felt pellets the application benefit is: load 3 behind each other, the 3rd one lubed, et voila! To see how effective this is pull a pull-thru thru (wow, that's a fierce grouping of words!) and you'll be amazed and in such a configuration the combined weight is approx same as a low grain wt lead pellet.
    No more on this subject - what I like/want & can't get locally I WILL import and so far the backup/help I got from overseas far outweighs the kind of response/support I got in our area's local shops. I mean, there aren't even airgun ranges or ft/hft clubs in the EC either.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Jan 12 2006, 10:11PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

H&N make a very big range of pellets including rebranding for other companies (including Walther and others). Each product is made to a different spec and you simply can not make sweeping statements about H&N quality. I use their pistol pellets ("high speed" Match), these come in unsorted ("Sport&quot, sorted to head size ("Match&quot and even further quality controlled ("Finale Match&quot. I use the middle quality ("Match&quot and I have NEVER seen a deformed pellet. Along with RWS ("R10&quot these are the pellets of choice for 90% of Olympic air pistol shooters.

My point is, they can and do produce some of the best pellets out there, but it depends on the specific product range.

REP: Airgun Warehouse

User Info Menu

"One cannot make sweeping statements" Quite correct!

We import pellets and we regularly have pellets damaged in transit--the top manufacturers will not jeopardise their reputations with haphazard packaging.

We have said this before and repeat it now again-- too many calibres and brands in a small market such as South Africa is making it difficult to service properly.How disconcerting it must be to have to return a rifle to the USA or Australia because of buying rebranded products or exotics when things go wrong.
    Beeman sold FWB for many years in the States as a Beeman.Nothing wrong with that! Honda and Toyota and BMW and most manufacturers sell products made in China India and who knows where else? "The economy of scale" Small runs-- big price-- limited service.

Even Olympic shooters accuracy test pellets and will today be using brand "A" and tomorrow brand "B" and if they are sponsored by "A" they will package in tin "A" brand "B"product should brand "B" be the better option.Not nice of them but winning is the goal not appeasing the sponsor and in the case of pellets who would ever know? The German pellets have always done the best advertising but the European shooters will tell you that there are other brands which are as good and regularly better and much cheaper.
    A pellet which is slightly deformed at the rear has no discernable effect on the accuracy--try this excercise yourself---the consistency of the air pocket and the front end are far more critical.

Fun and games?

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Jan 13 2006, 11:55AM ]</span>