Thread: Help with Zero-ing

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Help with Zero-ing

Please could you tell me what is meant by: to zero a rifle. At what range/s? How to go about.
    :O
    Thanx

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I feel your confusion :;pat All these terms are confuzzling :rofl Speaking of which, where's the website-dictionary lol.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yikes...anyone willing?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Glad to know I not the only one, been searching all morning around this forum and only got more konfoesed

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

eish this is a tricky one. i cant spell so i cant help with the dictionary.

Swannie:
    basicaly zeroing in just means setting the scope cross hairs to point at the point of impact at a certain dstance

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

Swannie, I have emailed you some info on this issue.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

MCJ, I was going to ask you directly, but took your advice and posted on the forum. Great help.

Thanx

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi guys

I'm no expert on this, so maybe there'll be a more formal definition coming through. However, from my understanding... :naughty

Because the low power of air rifles, the trajectory is very bowed (a bit of a rainbow). The barrel points slightly up, which means initially the pellet will head skywards. Then old Gallileo's principles hit in, and the pellet comes down again.

Hence you can only adjust your scope crosshairs to intersect with the pellet's trajectory at a specific distance. If you choose your zero to be at the top point of the trajectory, then only at that distance will the pellet hit crosshairs. If you choose a different distance to zero it, then the pellet will intersect with the crosshairs twice (once on the way up, and once on the way down). e.g. my scope is adjusted to be spot on at about 20 yards, and 30 yards. (Hmmm, I suppose technically you could choose a distance so far away that the pellet drops below the barrel point, and then it would be only one point again, but that's a bit silly)

Say you decide to zero your scope for 30 yards, you'll put a target up at 30 yards, and adjust your scope until the hole appears where the crosshairs are. Now your rifle and scope are zeroed for that range...

Clear as mud eh?

-b

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

THanks! :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

*begs for glossary of terms section* :thumbsup :rolling

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanx phumelelo, Marius e-mailed me the complete setup. Thanx Marius. I took my CF 30 apart and Bullseye, it works. Also ajusted the tigger on how to I read here, thanx pple.

Sorry, lost the r in trigger
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Jan 12 2006, 08:04PM ]</span>

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

No problem Swannie.

Wesley, you got mail.