Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Distance and Gravity (Ballistics)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Distance and Gravity (Ballistics)

Quizz!!
    I have three guns set up exactly parralell to the ground and fire all three at the exact same time. Which gun's bullet will reach the ground first?
    1. Blackpowder with a MV of 1370fps with a 380gr Minie bullet and travells a distance of 180 yards before touching the ground.
    2. Air rifle with a MV of 800fps with a 8.4gr skirted pellet and travels a distance of 75 yards before touching the ground.
    3. 300 winmag with at 2790fps with a 162gr boat tail spitser and travels a distance of 320 yards before touching the ground.

Will it be the BP, the air rifle or the .300 which touches the ground first and why?

Grab your calculators!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

same time?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Tell u later

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Geez feels like I'm back in school.

90% sure its at same time. Gravity is pulling them down at the same rate per second, so they will travel the downward distance in the same time. Horizontal distance is dependant on the horizontal velocity.

Me thinks???

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

same time all 3 if you assume the bullets all exit the muzzle simultaneously...but the black powder gun has a very slow lock time so the bullet will leave the muzzle a little later than the other 2.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Jan 12 2006, 05:01PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Plinker u and Urabus my Boikies!
    Its true! Gravity Constant = roughly 9.8meter/second
    Galileo proved that a feather and a lead ball would reach the earth at the same time.
    Shame, he almost got crucified for that or was it because he dared to say that Earth revolved around the sun?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

He was excommunicated for his theory that the earth was not centre of the universe...

Unfortunately a feather due to air resistance will take a long er time to reach the ground.

Galileos experiment was actually with 2 lead balls of different weights rolled down a slope....not thrown off the tower of Pisa as most people believe.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

and my avatar on the left proves that the universe is finite [and curved] and if you travel far enough you actually come back where you started from....

It happened to me once in the Karoo.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention the vacuum

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

LOL Sounds like you ran into Chuckie and he roundhoused you back to the starting point!

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

only in a vacum does objects fall at the same rate.... Air resistance will be the deciding factor.... pellet getting to the ground first in my cucky opioin...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Need to take curvature of the earth into account! ;impgrin

The 300 WinMag travelled furthest, and hence has to fall further due the curvature having the greatest effect.

Then it also depends on the gravitational effect of the moon. If the moon is overhead at the time, then it will slow the bullets fall. If it is on the otherside of the earth, it will cause the bullet to fall quicker. Once again, the WinMag will be most affected.

And if there are aliens, and small furry animals, they will be very afraid 'cause we shoot wiff three guns at the same time nogal!!!

-b

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Jase - Objects will not "fall" in a vacuum - since there is no gravitational force to move them. If you fired these bullets in a vacuum they would carry on going in the direction of fire endlessly

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

huh?

Objects will not fall in a vacuum?????
    You mean in outer space maybe...???

heheeeee
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Jan 13 2006, 12:49PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Only the airgun would fire in a Vacuum. Powder/Cordite needs air to burn so I'm afraid the pellet would probably bounce of the edge of the universe and come back to slap Guido in the head, unfortunately due to the effect that air has on a falling object, Guido would probably only get a burn mark from the molten lead. Hee! Hee! Apart from that, I dont know the answer but I think it might be 43