Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW97K and scope creep!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default HW97K and scope creep!!

I bought a two-piece Sportmatch mount without a removable arrestor pin from a reputable dealer(I was under the impression that the mounts had integrated arrestor pins). Are recoil stops/arrestor block/pins not necessary for the HW97K?

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I would rather spend an extra couple of bugs and get a scope mount with pins. It will just save you lots of fustration later because you will start to shooter bigger groupings and after two or three weeks of fustration relies that it is the scope that moves.

The HW97K has three holes ontop for that purpose. My advise, use them.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You don't have to change your mounts, just get a seperate scope "stop block" to fit behind the mounts. They are priced between R60-R90 here in JHB. The scope stop/ arrestor setup is a must have on the 97k.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Two piece mounts are not the way to go, unless you put a scope stop on like lewis suggests. What you need is a one piece mount with an arrestor pin so you can clamp that sucker down for good! I have a mount like this on my HW97K and it has never moved!!

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Skyker has the right advice, bite the bullet, sorry, pellet and keep th the two piece mounts for a PCP and get a good quality bridge mount.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Joey,

For what its worth I have not had any problems in the past using two piece Sportsmatch mounts on HW77's, although I have always used the arrestor pin fitted into one of the holes supplied on the action.

A one-piece mount would generally not require an arrestor pin due to the greater clamping surface.

Also have a look at this thread, it may be useful: http://airrifle.co.za/forum_viewtopic.php?6.14203

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Jan 19 2006, 03:02PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i've got the cheaper hawke match one piece mounts on 2 of my springers.....with pin on the 97K and pin moved on the diana. never moved.

my mates's got the dampa mount on his TX200HC FAC, no pin......20 min into the zero session, 1/5 of the mount came off the rail. i think the trick is to degrease the clamping surface thoroughly.

BREYT's Avatar BREYT

what is the diameter of your scope

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Diameter: 30mm
    Why would a reputable dealer sell mounts without arrestor pins for a HW97K? He actually stated that the mounts won't give any problems because it has double clamps/screws.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Have you tried the new mounts on your rifle?
    If you have and the there is evidence of scope creep, go ask for a refund. If the scope does not move, then there's no problem.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Spyker, that's what the dealer said as well. I'll try the mounts and see what happens. If I'm not satisfied, I can just return them. Just wondering how many people are using scopes without arrestor pins on a springer.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Joey,

One of my spring rifles is fitted with two piece mounts without an arrestor pin - it is my Mk1 TX200, which does not feature arrestor pin holes in the action. I have not experienced any scope creep on this rifle.

Which model of Sportsmatch mounts do you have as IIRC both the standard medium/high types feature arrestor pins. If the extended reach form then I am not sure if they come with pins or not.

Dale

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Jan 19 2006, 03:36PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

See picture(HTO 36C). Mine is the HTO 36 without the integrated pins.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I saw that this December when I went beer drinking in Groot Marico- scope moved all the time. As I'm new to the game, I now know what to look for when I buy my own scope. But at least Bludlust was kind enough to lend me the 4x crapola so I could get going!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So which are the best mounts for a 30mm scope on a HW97? I am getting a HW97k and would like to start off on the right foot!!
    And where can I get them?