Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MEC buttpad with leg support - Field Target legal

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Default MEC buttpad with leg support - Field Target legal

I have seen numerous adaptations of the same theme on many US FT guns...would this be legal on our FT circuit?

Deadlinkskig_menu/_imagefiles/mec_buttpad_with_knee_support_1_resized.jpg[/img]

Deadlinkskig_menu/_imagefiles/mec_buttpad_with_knee_support_2_resized.jpg[/img]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What leg are you going to balance it on? The hamster rests on one knee, but the butt??
    Help me here, I'm trying to picture it.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

well the butt goes under my arm and the small extension attached under it sticks out to the right at 45deg and butts up against my right leg.
    I lock my right arm around and over my right knee.
    In other words my right leg puts some pressure on that plate, pushing the stock into my armpit and the cheekpiece into my cheek.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Nothing in the rules that is against that!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Its obviously a chunk of reworked Steyr kit but knowing that the counterweights dont exactly instil any confidence, ie. will they still be ON the butt plate after a shooting session, I would say thats a pretty flimsy setup unless the crafter has made a serious mod to hold it on.

One of the Steyr team at the worlds had an extention to his stock which looked as though it might have come from a Knee replacement, must have been legal as there where a number of weird bits attached to various rifles.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

why do u think it is flimsy and what do you mean about the counterweights not instilling confidence?

It is all held together by stainless hex bolts...very sturdy indeed...so far it has not shifted at all.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The piece is obviously remanufactured and the weights, shaft etc look like Steyr parts. My weights are floppy, I think theres a rubber washer behind the main metalwork, havent had time to look properly but they move around easily, keep thinking they might not be there one day. Anyway, dont get me wrong it looks nice.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Yeah, I threw the thing together in about 15 minutes as an experiment...

just tighten up the hex grubs on your weights and the hex bolt on the shaft...those weights will not move any more
    There is no rubber washer on the weights shaft.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yeh, I'll do that when I get home, all I can do at the moment is look at a picture of it.
    So lets get this right, you've got the slide and weights from a Steyr, the one piece you knocked up and half of a Leatherman Supertool.........pretty neat Guido, pretty neat.

ice's Avatar ice

Is this more or less the same thing ?
    a similar mod(aid) was also used on ZM Hybrid, have the same principle, but the extension press against inside of arm (at the elbow).

Would love to see case this gun would fit in, without removing/adjusting extension!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Would then love to see the car that that gun case would fit into...and the gun's owner whose friend's are all missing eyes after being poked by those sharp bits.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ha! I was wrong, its not a Knee joint at all, its a Hip joint...

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

here is a Styer that i found on the net with the mod and a pic of how it is used

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

oops

[img]Deadlinks/public/217_lg100zft4.jpg[/img]
    <span class='smalltext'>[ 217_lg100zft4.jpg ]</span>