Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultratec B50 - Daystate copy

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Default Ultratec B50 - Daystate copy

Has anyone handled one of these controvertial PCPs?
    I see that Ramrod is now bringing them in...not sure about the price.
    They are Chinese copies of the old Daystate Huntsman and sell for under $300...they are quite highly regarded in the States as far as copies go. Reviewers say they are the best air rifles out of China to date.

see
    http://www.funsupply.com/parts.html
    http://www.compasseco.com/article_xsb50.htm
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/bestairgun/xsb50.html

Could be an interesting platform for an FT project... !amazed

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

here's a "hunting" review[link=hyperlink url]http://www.geocities.com/echochap/xsB50.html[/link]

it's a old design (2 gen), and it's rough.............
    nothing wrong with them though, a project rifle.
    i might be getting one........still trying to decide.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

oops, shot avion

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

one of the guys at the shoot used one of these on the weekend, 21 ex 30, first timer with 3-9X42 30/30 scope zeroed @ 25m 5 min before the start.
    it chrony'ed @ 980 fps using ultratec 8.44's.

i had a few shots with it afterwards.....there's a positive spring twang in the fireing cycle, the trigger was almost a single stage (ultra short), and i was informed by neilg today it's not adjustable..........so i guess it will be the first thing i mod, should i decide to get it.

the thumbhole stock is very nice to handle, but the actual wood used (not beech? some sort of asian hard wood?) and the finish is similar to the ultratec 1906 (spriger) that's available locally.

the supplyer had problems/shortages re filling adaptor, notsure if it's still the case. but one can always get a daystate one, better yet get the "real" trigger assembly at the same time.

model specific silencers are avialble from woodchucks.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have seen only positive comment on overseas sites, but then we had lots of discussion about experts, reviews and their motivation on this site. Something else that tickled me is that "spring twang" and I scratched around for that. According to one site, you can fit what is called a "de-twanger". According to this site, Daystate made the thing for some of their models. Since this is a Daystate copy, should work for it as well. The twang is apparently mostly due to "resonance of the air reservoir due to the action of the knock-open valve as it opens and closes". Still does'nt help me much. Any ideas as to the price in Rand for these jobbies?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

afaik, they retail for R3400-R4000 (ramrod), but i've seen them advertised for as low as R2500. well, the twang is not too bad, same as the fx air rifles i've shot (synthetic stocks).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would actaully love to get my hands on one of the BAMs.
    They are VERY rough around the edges, but I'm sure that they can be tweaked at minimal cost.
    Still don't like them though, they don't compare to
    AA and BSA !
    Going at R 4200 (I think), I will rather pay R 1000 more for one of the others !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

so, pick up the bam today............

the trigger is adjustable. the typical 2 stage type. the blueing is actually excellent, better then some i've seen from the "big brands".

i will go to range tomorrow and do a full test. so much to do though.....trigger, stock, "twang" fix, seals, bolt, trigger blade............etc well, atleast it will keep me busy 'till the s410k arrives.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

where have you seen one at R2500?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

don't want to give the name of the shop here.......just look in novem magnum.

not sure if it's for the t/h though?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just shows you, I was told by a very "reliable contact" that the trigger is not adjustable ...
    If it is adjustable then it's definately worth the price, and the work that will follow afterwards, TH comes in at less than half the price of the others !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

so much for the "testing session", i went to the shop on the way to the range (to get some pellets), and walked out with a little CP99. fantastic plinker.........i didn't even bother with the chrony and pellet testing. i basically zero'ed the BAM @ 35m using exterminators/penetrators (sub-inch), had a few shots at various distances to confirm the trajectory and left at that.

the range then became a tactical pistol range. what great fun. :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

the trigger is def. adjustable, btw it's the exact copy as the huntsman's. 4 adjustments (1st stage travel, 2nd stage let-off, blade posi, and over travel). it shoots ok, obviously not in the same league as the "real thing", but not bad. the twang is there, but hardly an issue @ 10m. just ask the quarry on my shoot.

i've downloaded the "real" manuals/strip guides...etc let's wait and see if a bit of polishing/tlc/new o-rings will make it sweeter.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

When budget allows I'll get my hands on one of these to play around with and improve ...
    Should be in the next 10 years ...
    Anybody wanne swop a BAM TH for a NJR .... ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

NEIL noooooo!!!!!