Thread: Rifle care and maintenance

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Rifle care and maintenance

My first and only rifle is my AA S400 Classic. I would really like to take good care of it, but I don't really know how.

Does anyone have suggestions/best practices for caring for the stock, cleaning the barrel/action etc. I'm not talking about full retuning etc, just the kind of things once should do regularly, e.g. after shooting, during a spring clean and so on.

Also, if possible, let me know the names of products you use, and where to get them.

Much appreciated :bowdown

-b

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Wipe it after a shoot and leave it alone. I know about persons that disassemble their rifles on a daily basis or after/before every shoot, but that is not necessary, take my word for it. Your barrel does not foul up either, as you do not use a ?fire arm? in the truest sense. If you feel like it, pull it through with a patch occasionally. You will probably need to shoot a few pellets again to get it back to accuracy.
    Many people will advise differently as there are two schools of thought about this subject and we have argued both sides ad nausium before.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Gerrie

What about oiling the stock?
    Should the barrel and action not be wiped down with an oily rag, sprayed with Q20? Varnished?

Thanks
    -b

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The stock should be varnished as it is, so oil will only make it shine a bit. The metal can be wiped with a lightly oiled rag just to inhibit rust a bit. Air rifles are pretty maintenance free. Every year you could let Hennie or Air Arms in Alberton have a look at it just to see that all your "O" rings are still "O" rings and dab it here and there with some lubricant. In my opinion and experience: ?Don?t fix it when it is not broke? applies here.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

this is what i do.....and have kept my rifles in as new condition......

action/exterior:

after handeling/shoot, i give it a once over with an oily rag to remove finger prints...and give it that o so lovely shine :thumbsup brunox turbo spray, trisol, light machine oil, gun oil, birchwood casey wipes, gun wipes...etc they all work.

barrel:

maybe once a month/tin of pellets or when i get bored......i use pull through. the pellets i use...
    jsb/daystates/exterminators are pretty clean to start with, and i lube them as well.

stock: i assume it's beech and in the oe varnish. there's not much to do....maybe a once over with a clean cloth + funiture/car wax.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

I also know some people who clean their gun by throwing it in the pool.....

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

phumelelo , Q20 does it for me on the metal work.On the stock I use Teak oil .Teak oil worked well on my Gamo stock .On the S400 I think I am waisting my time with all the polishing.I think I am going to try the wood polish trick.Just dont want the stock to be slipery.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

After all the rain er had lately, remove the action from the stock (1 screw and nothing will fall apart) and just wipe the underside of the cylinder with an oily rag as well. While it is open give the stock some form of oil.