Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Life - Gamo CFX

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Spring Life - Gamo CFX

Could someone give an indication of what the life expectancy is on a spring in a CFX? I've had mine now for about eight months, and about 2,000 shots later if failed. Is this acceptable? I thought it should have lasted a bit longer than this. Also, are there better quality springs available, or should one stick with the standard Gamo spring?

Cheers

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

what pellets were you using and at what velocity?

anything heavier than 9 grains such as Barracudas etc will shorten spring life considerably.

dry firing will also kill the internals

otherwise if well lubed, using 8.4gr pellets at around 12 to 14ft\lbs expect between 10000 and 30000 shots

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've been using Kovohute Diabolo Lux and Master most of the time (around 8gr) and have shot a range of lighter and heavier pellets (7-10.5gr), not a lot though.

Surely, even if one has shot with 10.5gr pellets, will the spring only last 2,000 rounds?

The CFX is rated at 1000fps, although 800-900fps sounds more realistic based on feedback from other users. I've not chrono'd my gun yet.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Jan 31 2006, 03:05PM ]</span>

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Sorry to disagree with you Guido but I had quite a few CFX and CFX royal shooters at the range, even with hevies (I do agree the lighter the pellet the more it recks havoc with the rifle in general, dry firing is a definite no no), you will probably get not much more than 3000 shots.
    The springs seem to be very brittle and usually crack into two or three pieces. There are better springs available, but I don't think anyone imports them here.
    Also we need to bare in mind springs in rifles like Wienrach etc are far superior to mass production springs. All these springs actually go through a hugh amount of strain everytime they perform a firing cycle!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

what exactly the damage caused by dry fire?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Boondock,
    dry firing is like when you're walking along, absentmindedly not paying attention where you go, thinking there's a step in front of you, climbing the step and then jolting yourself to a silly realization and quite a body shock that there was no step in the first place.
    Personally, that's how I think the gun would feel if it was to be alive.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My CFX spring broke before 2000 rounds. I then replaced it with an OX square spring. That lasted almost 1000 rounds. The best I got was:
    ave velocity 732 fps
    ES 20
    SD 7

I spoke to the gunsmith that do the repairs for Formalito, who imports Gamo. It is not uncommon for a Gamo spring to break.

In the end I sold my CFX and bought a Weihrauch 97.

Lesson learned save your money and buy quality.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It is my understanding that the CFX and the CF 30 uses the same spring. My CF 30's spring broke last week but that was after some 10 000 shots and a lot of dry firing. Fortunately it was only the last turn of the spring that came of, so I was able the remove that turn and continue till the new spring arrives today. My question, why would the rate the fps 50 higher on the CFX than the CF 30, if they uses the same spring?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What do you mean the spring failed? Spring rifles use some of the lubrication each time you fire, it might be that the rifle just need a good service.

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

During our last shoot on 28 Jan i noticed that one one our shooter Philip Botha, with a CFX was down to 700 fps. On chatting with him, it did not seems that he shot more than 2000 shots either.
    When he started shooting with us last year 2005 he chronied the rifle at 783 then 790, 800, 720 and the last one was 700 fps. We chrony all the rifles at every shoot with the same pellets ie JSB Exact @ 8,4gr. The above figure can be checked on our website at www.friendlyfire.co.za

Very interesting though....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So does that mean Philip should start looking for a new spring so long ?

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

If the spring has broken a few turns from the end, the rifle will still cock and fire, but the only idication will be a marked drop in fps say from 800 to 600/ 700fps.
    Dry firing slams the piston head into the end of the chamber damaging the head (a lot of older rifles and many of the BSA's come with a buffer disc between the piston head and piston propper to absorb some of the impact), also all the energy that would have been imparted to the pellet now goes into the rifle, ie cracked stocks, loose screws etc.
    Iaan, the OX square spring my not have been an FAC spring, check it out.
    I will be doing a gas ram conversion on a CFX in the next month or two and will give an update.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I replaced the spring on the CF 30 today. Lack of some tars that I've read about to lubricate, I used vaseline(maak alle gatte glad) The 1st shot was fine, but then it started dieseling at every shot, though the pellets were dry. Later less and less and now, only now and then. Is it the vaseline? :;pat

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I will only use Vaseline for extreme emergencies, rather use CV joint grease or any Moly based product. Vaseline gets hot and becomes runny and this WILL create problems. Dont put any grease on the piston washer.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What I meant by failing is that when the spring was removed, it had a broken coil about a third from the rear. I have never shot the rifle dry and do lube pellets. Is there anything else that one needs to be aware of?

When we took the broken spring and compared it to the new one, it was quite amazing to see how much it has shortened over time. Probably about 10mm.

Can anyone tell me what is different to the other more expensive types of rifles' springs?