Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to lead pellets?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Alternative to lead pellets?

Seeing as what I shoot is fed to my raptors I am considering moving away from toxic lead pellets. I have seen Gamo makes a metal ball, with a plastic skirting alternative.

Has anybody had any experience with these alternatives, how accurate are they, how effective are they for hunting and what other alternatives are available?

Thanks

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

considering the EU may ban all lead products in the next 5 years we should all really be thinking about this....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've tried all the non-lead pellets I could lay my hands on, and basically they all suck. The only ones I've found that were reasonably accurate are the Prometheus Dynamic SN-1, at 7.95gr, and the Prometheus EX-1 at 9.5gr.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hey Ou Van a while ago you had a post with the new gamo pellets you said you where going to post where and who would be selling them have you had any luck there yet?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    Hey Ou Van a while ago you had a post with the new gamo pellets you said you where going to post where and who would be selling them have you had any luck there yet?
    No, that was just on the Gamo USA web site. You could ask MZE to check if those pellets are coming to our shores.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Double cool thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    considering the EU may ban all lead products in the next 5 years we should all really be thinking about this....
    Good luck to them with trying that...
    How about electric engineers for soldering? I cannot see that product being removed from the market. What other metal can you think of with a low melting point and very low resistance.
    Gold.
    Gold is controlled, and you need to be a goldsmith to buy raw gold.
    So now what?
    Fishing market will no longer be able to make their own sinkers. You will have to buy precut stanless steels sinkers?
    How about the bases in high quality speakers? Lead base to give stability to the speaker. What about car and alarm batteries? Imagine the cost of a lithium battery 12v the size to start your 4x4. That battery will cost the same as a small secondhand car, and will have a lifetime of 2 years max.
    Lead will be available for many years to come IMHO...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ice pellets!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ice pellets in our weather conditions? I think they will be no more BEFORE you even get to the range?

Protea FT Team '10/'11/'13/'14
    Ladies World FT Champ '13/'14
    National FT Champ Ladies '10
    Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10

User Info Menu

Can just imagine seeing everyone walking around with fridges and coolboxes. Haha

Our dogs eat what we shoot. My brother has found the perfect solution for this problem. Only head shots or the ocational neck shot. Pellets goes through and isnt stuck in the bird like when shooting it in the body. If we shoot something with the shotgun it goes to the garden engineer!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've been shooting with Gamo's non-lead flatheads in my CO2 pistol. Not too bad at short ranges of say max 15 meters. But it surely will never replace Jsb's. They are also not nearly as good as other better quality flatheads. But at least, some companies are giving it a go

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Think the ban relates to expendable projectiles not reusable items.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the ban will come into effect in the EU...of that there is little doubt...do some Googling and see.

As Mac pointed out it will refer to expendable projectiles...it is already in force in California.

Many hunting lodges do not allow ANY lead ammunition to be used in certain American states.

stock up now

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

In the RSA shooting ranges must be clean of all lead projectiles once a year

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The americans mine lead like its the new gold, especially just for the battery market, I think it's unlikely to find any alternatives that work just as well.. I've got about a kilogram of used pellets, would it be worth trying to sell it to a scrapyard?? This feels hijakish..