Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting up or down

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

Default Shooting up or down

hi

i have done a lot of research on the net as to point of aim when shooting up or down.

the only common answer is that you will shoot high. there seems to be one reason for this but there are contridicting answers to were the point of aim should be

the most common one is to use the distance from the target if it was horizintal but i have aslo found contridictions to this.

my question is does it come down to individual "what ever works". what are you feelings? i have seen that wonderboom and leeukop have up and down hill shots, or does it not matter to much??????

:dunno :cursin :mblah

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Even here you will get conflicting views.

Look at the thread "Angle Indicator" by Casper Jul 18 2005 and you will get a few arguments bothways.

casper's Avatar casper

It's a cosine calculation based on angle and distance to the target. For example if the angle is 37 degrees the distance should be shortened to 80% of the actual. With a 53 degrees angle it should be shortened to 60%.

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

hi casper this is one of the theories that i have found on the net.

i suppose i sould refraze my question a little.
    with the up and down of our local ranges what do you guys do? do you hold under or do you just ignore it or do you gues the horizontal distance etc?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Get hold of Chairgun for the PC. Then just input your data for you rifle and pellets.
    There is a field box where you can select the angle of the rifle. Up and down, there is a little difference between the two.

It's no replacement for real world shooting, but you will get an idea of say one inch hold under @ 25yards if you zeroed @ 30yards aiming at a 45 deg incline. :screwy

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

anything less than a 20deg angle can be ignored I think

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

i did some sighting in this weekend, after puting in the basics into chairgun it gave me very different values that i found on the range.
    even now after trying to adjust some values to match the values at the range i cant get them the same so at this point chairgun is not my freind

casper's Avatar casper

It is what works best for everybody. Some do range finding others use milldot. Some of us are shacking so much we also hit it. At 26 degrees it is only 10% less, that is 5 meters over 50 meters. If I have to shoot Leeukop for the first time I will use an angle indicater. For the more flatter courses like the ones we shoot on I won't bother.

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

eish leeukop this weekend will be my first time there and my second on an ft course
    at least i now have an excuse, nice.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Not saying I'm going to finally start shooing people, but if I were to stand on top of a 50m tall building (let's say a book depository) and shoot someone across the street, they might be 60m away, but the bullet only had to cross about 10m of the earths surface (from one side of street to other) and hence gravity only had 10m worth of influence.

This "gravitational" distance (probably has some proper scientific term) is therefore always less than the "real" (relative?) distance which is why people will tend to shoot higher (they thought it was 60m away, but it was only 10m worth of gravity).
    The trigonometry is used to calculate this gravitational distance, because the entire situation can be described using a right angled triangle.

Someone can punch in some numbers and come up with a table of some percentage adjustments, i.e. 20deg slope = 5% less "real" distance or whatever the case may be... come on spreadsheet jockeys, let's race

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

that is the basic but from i have found there are other things that need to go into the calulations eg: scope hight above barrel, pellet weight etc.
    it looks like the basic triangle calc will get you close enough at 50m with a 40mm KZ

casper's Avatar casper

Scope height , pellet weight, velocity etc. is already calculated for when the top turret is calibrated or clicks calculated on a level. Angle is a add on calculation fine tuning these.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think those are just the normal factors that explain point of aim versus point of impact, but once you have a set up that takes all things into account and you know what the effect of gravity is on your pellet's trajectory the only affect "angled shooting" has is that the "real" distance is different from the relative and you should aim as if it was 10m away on flat ground even though the relative distance is 60m (in my example).

Some quick spreadsheet calculations seem to indicate the following corrections at given angles:

angle- "real distance" (as % of relative)
    10---- 98
    20---- 94
    30---- 87
    40---- 77
    45---- 71
    50---- 64
    60---- 50
    70---- 34
    80---- 17

e.g. 100m away at 10deg angle, only suffers 98m of gravity... at 20deg there is only a 6% difference etc.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Feb 06 2006, 02:24PM ]</span>

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

here is an article contradicting the triangle theory.
    http://www.wildsheep.org/magazines/a...l_shooting.htm

makes interesting reading

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The formula in MicroSoft Excel is:

COS(RADIANS(10))*100

Your 10 degrees has to be converted into radians and the final result is multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.