Thread: Newbie with a CFX -

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Newbie with a CFX -

Hi there Guys .... loving the site
    I am relativly new at the Air Rifle thing .... have several Other weapons including a number of rifles that i reload for ect.

i was wondering if there are any worth while mods to the CFX and any other tips like Lubing periodicaly ect.

any help will be apreciated.

thanx

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Not sure about mods for the CFX, but as far as lubing goes, it's like anything else mechanical. Make sure that all hinge and pivot points get some sort of lube. Just don't get any in the transfer port!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanx Spyker,

The bits that are exposed like the pivot points i kinda assumed would need lubing ... its more the hiden bits i was worried about ... the Cylinder and Piston ect...

thanx any ways.

would a CFX be "enough Gun" for a head shot on a Guinnie... with a diablo pellet?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't worry about the internal bits.
    As for shooting, keep the range under 20m, anything over that and you risk wounding the bird.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Watch out... You get "diabolo" and "Diablo" pellets.
    The one describes the profile of the pellet and the other is a trade name. Both are "diabolo" shaped though. Depending on your shooting skill you will be able to make a clean kill at 40-50 meters with a rifle running at 800+ Ft/sec. If you can, I would rather you keep the distance as low as possible and be sure of your shot.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanx Blokes....

I will try keep the distance within 20m with the air rifle...!(diablo Brand Red lable)

Failing which i will bring out my 22-250 and blow the bastard at 250m lol

I am only looking at taking a tarrie for shits and giggles with the CFX my serious hunting on game birds is done with my s/s shottie ect.

But they make a bit of a noise in and around home ..

Thanx again .. awsome site

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just as a matter of interest. We hunt, or use to, most every weekend. We have proven that we shoot more pigeons per head with our air rifles, than the groups of up to four shotguns in any after noon. On an occasion or two we have taken Franklins and spurfowl(tarentaal) also at ranges between 20 and 50 meters.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

the things is, even at 12ftlbs ME(or somewhere there about....) the pellet is capable of going through a coke can filled with water @ 100m (i think lewis did the test last year) which is more than enough to penetrate head of air rifle quarries.......so the acceptable hunting range is pretty much determined by the shooters ability. ie the max distance that one can consistently (ie almost every shots) achieve sub inch groupings under real field/hunting conditions.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It reminds me of a story I heard once about somebody that bought chikens to test penetration of pellets and then had a chiken braai with his mates afterwards. hehehe

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hehe........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You Oaks are sick .... Chicken Braai ...

LOVE IT ..

any ways ... as i said new at this air rifle thing so play nice and help a brother out with the finer details..

I have several other weapons..(love Guns)
    30-06 Rem mod 721
    22-250 Midlands
    22 Hornet
    S/S Shot Gun AYA
    Colt 45 Combat Com
    walther PPK
    and last but not least
    Gamo CFX

so the balistic proporties of all of the above im ok with ....besides the CFX
    and a Scrub Hair ? or even Cat..LOL
    (all the bunnie huggers just shat their pants.