Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TX200 VS HW97

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default TX200 VS HW97

Came across this Discussion on Straightshooters.com. See link below:
    http://www.straightshooters.com/cgi-...86-1230+07.htm

Interesting debate! Maybe it boils down to who gives the best service?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nah', HW97K all the way!! :thumbsup

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Out of the box the Mk1 and Mk2 TX200's are way better (at 12ft.lbs) than the HW77/97 rifles. All the HW spring rifles I have owned have needed a bit of fettling to get them to be really smooth shooters. All the TX needed was some small adjustments to the trigger to bring it up to my preference.

With the Mk3 TX, the longer stroke makes it a better higher power rifle, the trade off being a slightly slower action at UK power limits.

I am not knocking the HW's but they do require a bit of work to equal the TX performance. I also agree with the guy in the link the HW is a trickier rifle to work on, the TX is a doddle to strip and maintain.

Dale

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I concur fully with Dale.
    Only advantage of the HW out of the box is that it has better blueing than the AAs

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Out the box I would not mind either gun.HW would win in my books if I could only take 1.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I don't agree with the better blacking on the HW, the blacking on the TX is IMO better.

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I had both of which the TX is the current one. Sold the HW because the trigger on the TX could be adjusted better for my liking. I also like the bull barrel look with the intergrated "silincer" instead of the thicker section on the front of the HW. The bear lock on the TX is better IMO than than what my HW had. Auto safety is the same.

The right hand grip on the TX is much better to my liking than on the HW I had.

I am still not sorry for selling my HW although I started on it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm biased. I've never shot a TX before in my life. But for me the HW97K is perfect. And I don't mind fiddling and tuning it. To me that's part of airgunning.

Besides, the HW97K looks like the dogs danglies with the blue laminated stock!! :toothless

Each one to his own I would imagine.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I also like the laminated stock a lot...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i don't get the lack of trigger adj on the HW97 part??????

got mine running so sweet.......

another factor is the feel/fit/balance.........i think i mentioned this b4.....i was at the shop had the hw97k and the tx200 side by side and tried them in various postion (people in the shop thought i was koo-koo)

i bought the one that felt the best.......not the smoothest, or the best bluing, cheapest...etc interstingly the winner of the HFT springer class in the UK last year was John Beale, a vet from SA shooting a outta box HW97K.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

And what colour is your stock? Blue. I rest my case..

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The TX triggerallows 1st/2nd stage control from the two screws in the blade. HW allows 2nd stage length from a screw, to alter 1st stage length you bend can bend the trigger stop (taking care not to snap it off of course), so as far as I am concerned the TX unit is more readily adjustable.

Dale

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Spyker,
    still on the subject of finetuning/adjustments, have you had to do anything on your .22HW90 btw? Just wondering if it needs anything special as I have the HW90 in 0.20 as indicated in previous threads.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

To me the TX200 has bad balance.It feels far too front heavy for me.I must say it gives great groupings off the knee though.The HW (only shor Spykers so far) feels heavier in general to me but gives you a real classy hold.The TX wood work is just a little too tight on the wrist for me.Triggers on both are like silk compared to my Gamo.I think when you are a better marksman you can only complain about the trigger.Blokes like Dale have a lot more trigger time with these sort of weapons and I think that makes all the diference.In the end of the day I would be proud to have either gun.(even if it were blue laminated I would just tell myself it was really red) . :jester Todays guns get a thumbs up from me :thumbsup
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Feb 13 2006, 08:20PM ]</span>

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Best TX200 is the HC version...has much better balance for me than the long TX200 which I have never liked.
    TX200 is a lot easier to take apart than the HW and has a better trigger.