Thread: HW80

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default HW80

Does anyone own a HW80k in any calibre? What's it like to shoot. Also what power is it doing (untuned or tuned)? I'd like to get one in .20" calibre (if I can convince my wife 8) ). I already own the HW97k in .20", which I'd have to get rid of if I do get the 80k, and an AA S410k in .177" which I love to bits.

So anyone out there with the 80k, please, any feedback will be appreciated.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Unless you specifically want a little more power I would really not recommend moving from the 97K to the 80.
    The fixed barrel 97K is IMHO a far better rifle from a rigidity and mechanical point of view.
    The 80 is more powerful due to the larger cylinder but is a break barrel which I personally do not like...especially in the more powerful versions.
    I had a 90 for a while and absolutely hated it...harsh to shoot, heavy to load, leaked all the time...eventually returned it to Potshot and never looked back. That was a .22cal one and was really powerful but I am not sure what Potshots policy on 5.5 [not 5.56mm] air rifles is at the mo.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm well aware of the break barrel versus fixed barrel issue and I'll have to deal with it, I guess. I believe that modern engineering and the mechanical construction of some of these airguns is of such high standard that the difference really has to be negligible, if any. I have read a lot about this issue (break barrel versus fixed barrel). The idea that the fixed barrel is inherently more accurate than the break barrel, but I am still not convinced that the evidence stands well up to scrutiny. I do want the 80 for the capacity for extra power (upgrade). I could keep the 97 - trouble is, I don't think I'd want two springers in my stables - one is just about enough. I love the 97 - I just put the Venom kits in it and it just about shoots as accurately as my AA S410K, with a lot of effort and concentration, of course.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

If you love the 97k keep it....
    The increase in power of the 80 is not worth it...especially since not all HWs are good out of the box..if you have a good 97k hold on to it.
    How much extra power do you think the 80 will give you?
    Will you be able to shoot the 80 just as accurately as the 97? Remember extra power means a harder firing cycle and more recoil.
    ALso if you sell the 97 you will not recover the cost of the Venom kit..
    I agree, both rifles are probably just as accurate... I just prefer fixed barrel rifles and over time there is less wear and less chance of accuracy degradation due to a loose barrel.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

suppose you are going ahead with the 80..........
    how much do you want for the .20 97k?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm back - (technical problems subsided for now). Guido's making good points. I'm thinking about the two options -keeping the 97K or selling it. I could remove the Venom kits and reinstall the original kit (which I still have and it is still in good condition). I agree, if I sell it with the Venom kits, I'll lose out badly. I could then sell the Venom kits seperately (I've seen people do that). Urabus, I haven't thought of the price yet because I haven't definitely decided to sell the 97(just exploring my options). It's a heavy gun and having two heavy springers could be a bit too much.

Guido, about power, I agree with you that from the box, the gun might be doing at least about 15.5 ft/lbs (or 16 if I'm lucky) which is not much more than the 97k. But I'm thinking supertuning for power upgrade. Venom sells a super tuning and power upgrad kit called the Maglaza - and I've spoken to people who have installed it in their 80s in the UK (airgun bbs forum) and they recon it'll take the power level to between 20 and 22ft/lbs and still enable the gun to shoot sweet. The tuning kit basically increases power while sorting out the recoil (tames it), allowing the gun to shoot smoothly at higher power levels. The harsh firing cycle that you are talking about is basically smoothed out by the Maglaza kit.

I used to own a Gamo Hunter 440 (.177) pumping out about 14.6 ft/lbs. In my view, it had a hell of a recoil which made it fairly inaccurate. I didn't keep it long enough to see if it would have got better. I tried tuning it but it failed to respond and I sold it three months ago and got the 97.

It looks like no one in the forum owns an 80, judging by the comments received - or maybe the owners of 80s all gone holidaying with PCPs .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i'm sure some one's got hw80 here??????? ITMAN?
    fully agree with the tuning potential of the 80.
    what ever you decide to do........enjoy and good luck.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Zulu,

Although I don't currently own an HW80, I have had several of them over the past 17 years. In the 'out of the box' UK 12Ft.lbs format they are not a particularly nice rifle to shoot as they are designed primarily for high power with the large swept volume cylinder. The UK guns are fitted with a weak spring which gives a sluggish feeling firing cycle. The high power version feels a lot better with a quicker action more akin to the feel of the HW97 albeit with a little more recoil.

At 12Ft.lbs the best version is the Lazaglide by Venom, which involves inserting a sleeve into the cylinder to reduce its volume and using a smaller diameter piston running on synthetic bearings. This gives a very smooth firing cycle.

I have tried a .177 Lazaglide HW80 at my local gunshop that was running at 915fps using AA Field pellets (about 15.7Ft.lbs), the recoil was very low, in fact lower than from my 12Ft.lbs TX200. I imagine the Maglaza variant would give a higher enrgy with similar handling characteristics.

In respect of the durability of the rifle, the HW breech hinge and lock mechanism are about as good as it gets and if looked after properly will give years of reliable service.

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Dec 22 2004, 10:30AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Dale, it was certainly a pleasure reading your post. I'm glad that at least someone with a good knowledge of the HW80 and the Venom tunes has come forward - perhaps you could stick around long enough for me to bounce off some ideas on you if and when I do get the 80 (with a Maglaza tune)- you're right, the maglaza tune also comes with a piston fitted with delrin buttons to make the firing cycle super smooth and the action very quiet - in addition to other bits like a piston weight, and other modifications eg. shortened and remachined piston rod to increase the cocking stroke and power. It sounds exciting. I'm glad you mentioned the point about the construction of the breech block. Obviously you have a better knowledge of the Weihrauch airguns/HW80 than I do and the what I've read or heared about these airguns confirms what you said - that if well looked after, these guns are bullet proof - built to last for a life time.

Thanks again Dale

Zulu

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Zulu,

You're welcome, I would be happy to try and answer any other questions you have.

If I am not on the forum, then just drop me an e-mail at the address in my profile.

The HW80 is a good rifle if a touch heavy, although the extra weight does help tame the recoil at higher powers. I have shot HW80's with standard piston and export spring doing around 18.5Ft.lbs in .22 and they handle very nicely. One such rifle I tried would happily put up 10 shot groups of less than 25mm at 45 metres, which is pretty good as far as I am concerned for a high power spring rifle.

One other point to consider is that when Venom developed their Mach 1 rifle back in the late 1980's as the ultimate high power spring rifle the design owed a lot of its inspiration to the HW80.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No problem, Dale. I've got your details with me now.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi Zulu,
    I own a HW80 (.177), and am very happy with it so far. Being the only air rifle that I have owned until recently, I don't really have anything to compare it with though. Have recently bought a HW50S, and well not in the same class as the 80 power wise, but a hell of a lot smoother to shoot. That made me start looking at the different options of upgrading my 80 to give it a smoother firing cycle, without loosing power.
    I was quite surprised to see how upgradeable the 80 really is. Problem is that you don?t get anything for it in SA? or at least not that I could find. I had a look at the Venom Lazaglide, Maccari Ultraglide, and even the Theoben Gas ram, and eventually decided to go for the Maccari Soft Ultraglide kit.
    From what I have read, the Ultraglide kit is very similar to the Venom Lazaglide in the sense that it also makes use of the delrin spacers on the piston. Currently the gun is in for the upgrade, but hopefully I will get it back today sometime, if I can get away from work to go and fetch it. Will definitely let you know what she is handling like after the UG upgrade.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a good Crony, and what I should expect to pay for one?
    What does the law say about FAC rated air rifles?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

there is no restriction on power , only on caliber.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i got my chrony f1 (entry level), but it's upgradable...etc from DnR sports over the net.
    paid under usd 100 (all inclusive), and took under a week. with the rate at the moment, it's less than R600. bargain i say