Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most accurate PCP

Anton's Avatar Anton

Default Most accurate PCP

Here's a genuine question on what might be a very controversial topic! I once almost bought a Falcon (2nd hand). The owner told me that the rifle grouped okay, but that it was not as accurate as AA for example (of which I own an S410 carbine). For those in the know, and have shot with a number of PCP?s, what would you regard as the most accurate PCP available today? :?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

QB79!!!... lol :rofl :rofl :rofl

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

That all depends on what you like.I dont think there is much between the big names.Different strokes for different folks.Anschutz is popular for 3p see lots of them in the olympics , Air Arms is popular in general(for example).If you are happy with something then keep it that way.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

BAM51, if thats your first PCP, beats the sh!t out of a Gamo. hehehehe

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

OK, here is another Q@A. Is it the odd pellet that flies, what makes the one PCP more accurate than the other, or is it the pellets you use? Why does the people always say "one-hole-wonders" 3 pellets through one hole, what about the other 40 pellets ?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15
    WBRAF President '15

User Info Menu

AA 400s can shoot with AA FT and Altratec Universals 10 shots into one group of 10mm with no fliers at 23 meters. Only the wind that drift the pellets out. My best 5 shot group at 50 M was less that 10 mm. see my gallery pellet grouping. The best would be an EV2. But it is the skill of the driver. The same if I drive a F1 Ferrari I will not feature.

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

all the race guns are 1 hole wonders for 40+ shots. "its the idiot outside" that causes the bigger groups, there are probably 5 people on the planet that can out shoot there race guns.

i am happy to know that my gun out shoots me, this way i know if i miss it was my fault. gives me room to improve.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The most accurate rifle is the one you feel most comfortable with. It can be anything from a S400 to a Steyr. They all capable in the right hands.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I know of at least one person that can out shoot any rifle, when he misses the .5 mil. dot in the centre of the target by half the thickness of a polony skin it is the rifle not him. (10m terms, a 10.8) I agree with Dale and that is the above person?s story as well. He is most comfortable with a certain rifle and there for shoots more accurate with it. Most of, if not all PCP rifles are equally accurate in the right hands, with the right ammo, in the right conditions on a good day. You don?t have to believe me, but that is what I have been preaching for the last three years and have proven myself not so far wrong as a lot of people initially thought. :smokin

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

This can be a very contentious issue with some people getting extremely partisan over their particular favourite brand of rifle.

I am in a fairly lucky position that I have had the opportunity to own or get to shoot most of the popular brands of pre-charged rifle over the last few years. I think in terms of rifles for FT the only ones I have not yet encountered for a decent test are the Anschutz and two limited edition hand built to order rifles being the Zenith by Nick Murphy and the Airstream built by Sean Hill at ISP.

Putting all of the rifles over the bench has shown that by far the majority of them will shoot with sufficient accuracy to be competitive in FT. Yes there is the occasional rogue which doesn't perform as well, but these tend to be the minority and there are one or two rifles out there which are just not very nice at all (without major surgery).

From my experience the biggest difference between my Pro-Target and my S400FT was not the accuracy or consistency, it is just that the Pro-Target allows you a bit more adjustment straight out of the box. However make some modifications to the S400 and it will equal the performance of any of the race guns out there.

Nowadays in FT the biggest factor IMHO is the rangefinding capabilities of the scope. You could buy the most expensive FT race gun in the world, but unless you can accurately rangefind it is not going to give you any benefit.

I am also moving to the view that the best rifles for FT are those which are really designed for the rigours of field use. I am becoming a little concerned as to whether the converted 10m guns will stand up to the extremely variable conditions that can be thrown at them in the field as opposed to the stable conditions normally experienced in 10m ranges.

Another thing is don't get an unrealistic expectation of the accuracy of a rifle at 50m - if you want a rifle that is going to put every shot through one pellet sized hole then you are in for a disappointing and frustrating search. Yes tiny groups can be achieved, but any degradation and change in external conditions will open the group size - sometimes quite dramatically. Provided the rifle will group consistently well inside a kill zone sized circle at 50m then be satisfied. I tend to look for max group size of 25mm at 50m, if conditions and ammuniton allow a smaller group then all well and good, just don't get upset if the groups won't all be the size of a pellet mark.

Hope that helps.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Good point Dale. I must however point out that my Steyr sat in the pouring rain at Brits and the only the cocking lever and the bipod needed some attention after the shoot. I saw a few of the other well known brands of rifles developing rust spots in the same conditions. I'm not knocking other rifles, just mentioning the fact that my race gun did well in the rain and wind.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale,
    Thanks my friend, you have just emphasized the last sentence of my last comment, but I don?t have the :blingbling to prove my years of practical shooting in the military. It just is not in my nature to see somebody heading the wrong way and not at least try to steer him/her in the right direction. Your comments are always welcome due to your superior knowledge regarding the subject of FT. :thumbsup

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Come now Spyker, you know we used rifles that has done duty for a long time so the blueing has worn away to the stage that some spots look like chrome. Your rifle must still loose its factory grease, it still stinks of newness!!!! Ha ha

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Not a chance! All the newness has been washed off a long time ago!!! :P

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

that's what i like about the steyrs......stainless steel, and aluminium construction........no worry for rust.