Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I like em fast & light

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default I like em fast & light

What pellets above 8gr and below 10gr perform well in your heavy hitters? I want to get some light pellets that group well in my gun(18ft lbs energy) but I cannot seem to get any, only heavy 10.5gr works well.I have tried a couple of brands but it is upsetting me if I buy 500 pellets to test and I end up using only 20 becuase they dont group well. I know that the light pellets dont work that well in high powered rifles but there must be some lighties that works well.Have anybody done some extensive testing or found a lightie that likes to go faaaasssst?The best in my gun so far is the Crosman Accupal 7.9gr but they give twice the grouping that the heavy 10.5gr Premiers do.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I use AA Field, 8.4gr, in my S410 Extra FAC. The groupings are more than enough to put the pellet exactly where I want it to go.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

exterminators/logun penetrators @ 9.5g

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

AirKing
    Any reason why you want to go faster that lighning,sound or white light?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have used the Air Arms 8.4 but they did not work in my gun, I will give the exterminators/ loguns a try. Thanks
    Gerrief my gun shoots point of aim at 20 to 40 meters then drop 7cm at 50 and 20cm at 60m. I believe that a lighter(8.5 - 9.5) pellet will have a flatter trajectory out to 60m.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Remember, the lighter the pellet, the less knowckdown power you have.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I saw on one site they tested the cosman premier 10.5 and 7.9gr pellets in the Diana 350 magnum, becuase both the CP 10.5 and 7.9gr had very good ballistic coefficients they lost not that much energy at 50 yards, the 10.5 had 12 ft lbs of energy left and the 7.9gr had 9ft lbs. This brings us back to the discussion: is it better to have more knockdown power and less range or less power and more range, depends on what you ar after. I would like to shoot some bunnies and for that i will use the lighter pellets with more range and for the 'BIG birds' i will use the heavies.Now I just have to find those accurate lighties!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I know they're friggin expensive, but how about those green Prometheus pellets @ 8grain?
    I like 'em in the QB79.
    Anybody tried them for accuracy?

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Fucius , I wont put that %$@#$ in my gun again.It groups badly and there are deposits left in the barrel.

Airking I have heard that light pellets dont do a high power springer any good .Be careful with what you use.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thx Allan, glad I only bought 1 tub then. Will Chuck Norris, errr, chuck 'em in the bin then rather. Somehow I wuz wondering about the Nylon body - it's soft as lead, but at least lead is a metal, as you say, deposits of nylon can't be good...

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

new JSB heavy. i think i weighed them at 9.6 or so grains, but increadibly accurate in the high powers.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I will try to get the JSB's, where will I find them in Pta area? I emailed Maccari( the spring guys) in america and we talked a bit and they advised me NOT to use the heavy 10 -11 gr pellets becuase the pressure in the gun is increased every time you fire because of the heavier pellet and this in turn causes the spring and the seals to get damaged. They advised not using pellets heavier than 9.5 gr in my gun. I have some Skenco zinc pellets (scary penetration!!!)with brown plastic walls they seem to do well in my gun but I am also concerned about the plastic/nylon melting in the bore and leaving unremoveable deposits. Then I have Prometheus pellets with a yellow jacket and these fly!!but they are very inaccurate. Thanks for all the advice received

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The lighter pellets lose energy quicker than heavies, so although the lighties are faster, their speed drops off quickly. I have found that at 50m+ 10.5 grain, 1000fps pellets arrive at the target noticably quicker than 1000fps 8.6 grain pellets. i.e although the first section of the trajectory on light pellets is flatter, the further downrange you go the more curved it gets due to the rapid shedding of speed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Gra, what you say is true if both pellets fly at 1000fps but there is a difference in weight, but a 10.5gr pellets moving at 1000fps will give about 22ft lbs of energy and a 8.6 gr pellet will have to fly at 1100fps for 22 ft lbs of energy, now with limited range of say 50-60m will the lighter pellet get there first becuase of the higher velocity or will it get there second becuase it sheds its energy faster?I believe that over longer ranges of 60-80 meters the heavier pellet will be far more superior but what about the shorter 50m range? Does anybody have a big enough piece of ground so that we can come and do some tests?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have found that the heavies outperform after about the 40m mark, but since I shoot mostly in field conditions (generally no time for rangefinding etc.) the trajectory benefits of a fast heavy pellet with acceptable accuracy far outweigh a lighter, equally fast pellet. There is a +- 115m range at the pistol club that I shoot at, with good benches set up, just off the R21 near Kempton Park.