Thread: Zoom and POI

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Zoom and POI

Hi guys,

If I zero at say 25m @ 12 x zoom does my POI shift if I change zoom to say 4 -5 @ the same distance - for hunting etc? I realize that the holdover probably changes as the mildots are a fixed distance apart etc

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Depends on your scope.When my lynx was new it changed the PIO due to the zoom ring being so stiff.Now tthat it is run in i dont notice a change in POI.The only way for you to be sure is to do a bit of bench testing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Allan - I've got a new Hawke 3-12x50 IR.. the zoom ring is also stiff... so what you seem to be saying is that it is not the accepted norm that the POI should shift with different levels of zoom - so the cross hairs on the x at 12 times SHOULD be the same as on @ 4 times? Any 44 times zoom FT guys care to comment? :bowdown

I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye so while i can shoot a grouping of say 10mm @ 25m I can't tell if a shift is me or the scope from a rest :;pat

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

only at the distance you have zeroed your gun at will it stay the same when you change your mag, your mildots will change when you change your mag eg.... on 30 mag you use 4 dots at 50 yards then when you change your mag to 25 you will use approx 3 dots at 50 yards.

hope that makes sense :blueyes
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Mar 03 2006, 07:56PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It shouldn't change, but saying that I had a cheap scope that would shoot to the right by about an inch @ 25m when I went from 12X to 4X mag.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

As moose says, if you change the mag on the distance you are zero?d for, it wont make a diff really.
    When dialing in, you can shoot on any alternative magnifications with the settings still right. When using mildots, the mag influences the trajectory in the scope?