Thread: How to grip an air pistol?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default How to grip an air pistol?

Seeing that I am new here, can anyone enlighten me how to grip a spring-piston pistol. I got my little Industry QS35 two weeks back. I have tried for days to get a decent group but tried as I might, the smaller group I got was a 4 inch straight line. I have tried Isosceles, Weaver and Chapman stances with all degrees of griping strength from having the gun lying loose in my hand to almost gripping the gun to death. The bad part is that the sights are good and the trigger is light and I am sure that I wasn’t flinching. I think it is the spring/pistol being too heavy in relation to the pistol and it throws the pistol off balance as it travels down. Just to test my theory, I took my Bushnell Scope off my center fire rifle and stuck it on top of the pistol’s receiver. By using a grip I learnt while shooting metallic silhouettes (holding the pistol close to the body and grip the back of the scope with left hand, just in front of the eye), using the scope as a lever, I was able to keep the barrel from flipping up unpredictably and I am now shooting 1 inch group from 10m. The problem is, I brought the thing so that I could have fun shooting with open sights and I certainly don’t think my scope is going to last too long this way. Besides, I don’t think this is the correct way to tackle the problem. Any suggestion/comment on the correct grip for a springer pistol?
    €€€

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

How good is the trigger ?
    €€€

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Allan
    How good is the trigger ?

Not bad at all, the trigger is adjustable and it is now set to go at a mere 3 lbs but it is not too smooth. I don't think I was flinching.
    €€€

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Chronograph the pistol. It might still be erratic from all the gunk the factory put in front of the seal. My pistol (no name cheapie) shot more consistant after a good service and a few 100 shots, but no 10mm groupings yet.
    €€€

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I wanted to Chrono my pistol but the cheap R500 chrono is not picking up. I think I will strip the gun and give it a good clean then I will go borrow someone's chrono.
    €€€

Chinese Air Gun User's Avatar Chinese Air Gun User

Default Accurate Shooting the QS35.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopper View Post
    Seeing that I am new here, can anyone enlighten me how to grip a spring-piston pistol. I got my little Industry QS35 two weeks back. I have tried for days to get a decent group but tried as I might, the smaller group I got was a 4 inch straight line. I have tried Isosceles, Weaver and Chapman stances with all degrees of griping strength from having the gun lying loose in my hand to almost gripping the gun to death. The bad part is that the sights are good and the trigger is light and I am sure that I wasn’t flinching. I think it is the spring/pistol being too heavy in relation to the pistol and it throws the pistol off balance as it travels down. Just to test my theory, I took my Bushnell Scope off my center fire rifle and stuck it on top of the pistol’s receiver. By using a grip I learnt while shooting metallic silhouettes (holding the pistol close to the body and grip the back of the scope with left hand, just in front of the eye), using the scope as a lever, I was able to keep the barrel from flipping up unpredictably and I am now shooting 1 inch group from 10m. The problem is, I brought the thing so that I could have fun shooting with open sights and I certainly don’t think my scope is going to last too long this way. Besides, I don’t think this is the correct way to tackle the problem. Any suggestion/comment on the correct grip for a springer pistol?
    Hi Stopper, I have a QS35 & have no difficulty shooting accurate groups.
    Firstly, I stripped the gun completely & thoroughly cleaned out the makers
    'gunk'. I removed the 'safety' then reasembled & lubricated the pistol. Having obtained a smooth working gun, I, like you, tried various positions
    & soon realised that in order to get good results you must use a both
    hands grip. The gun points very well & by gripping fairly lightly you will soon estabish a 'favourite' stance. It's a waste of time trying to shoot this gun accurately with one hand as you have already found out probably
    because of the weight. However, give it a try like this, hope you improve
    as you will begin to enjoy a nice pistol with a fairly light trigger.

Good luck, Chinese Air Gun User.
    €€€

Chinese Air Gun User's Avatar Chinese Air Gun User

Hi Stopper, I have a QS35 & have no difficulty shooting accurate groups.
    Firstly, I stripped the gun completely & thoroughly cleaned out the makers
    'gunk'. I removed the 'safety' then reasembled & lubricated the pistol. Having obtained a smooth working gun, I, like you, tried various positions
    & soon realised that in order to get good results you must use a both
    hands grip. The gun points very well & by gripping fairly lightly you will soon estabish a 'favourite' stance. It's a waste of time trying to shoot this gun accurately with one hand as you have already found out probably
    because of the weight. However, give it a try like this, hope you improve
    as you will begin to enjoy a nice pistol with a fairly light trigger.

Good luck, Chinese Air Gun User.
    €€€

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Call back the past
    €€€