Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do spingers get hot?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Do spingers get hot?

I have been getting pellets stuck in the chamber/barrel of my industry QS35 if i fire it more the 30 or so rounds with in 5 minutes (I wasn't even using cheap deformed pellets). People told me that the action gets too hot and the piston/spring wouldn't travel fast enough to push the pellets down the barrel. It seems to be a reason for the malfunction because the gun would shoot fine agian if I leave it for about half an hour everytime. But then it seems strange that a spinger would get hot enough to have malfunctions.

Anton's Avatar Anton

I've owned a couple of springers and have never had this problem. I'm stumped...
    Maybe it has something to do with the lubricant inside the chamber??

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

30 shots in 5 minutes. That is high cyclic rate for a springer.1 shot every 10 sec's.Why so quick ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

He doesn't have an AK47

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Allan
    30 shots in 5 minutes. That is high cyclic rate for a springer.1 shot every 10 sec's.Why so quick ?
    Too much IPSC, and yes I don't have an AKMS. I got my air pistol so that I could do some point shooting practice safely at home.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Perhaps it is a combination of the lubricant and maybe because the inside of the piston is not very smooth thus causing a whole lot more friction and therefore heat. Maybe you should take the gun apart and lightly sand/polish the inside of the piston chamber. look on google for Charlie da tuna website, he has lots of tips and illustrations on how to smooth out your gun. Are you lubricating your pellets?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I think your pistol is in dire need of a service!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

rather get urself a semi-auto co2 or airsoft pistol to practice ipsc indoor.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks

I will strip it down to give it a good clean. But the question remains. I can't even feel the the pistols/barrel warming up at all but if I stick it in a fridge for a while first, I will get 30 more rounds out of it before it malfunctions. So it is the heat? Will see what happens once I clean up the gun and use a different kind of lube as well.

Well I am getting myself a Gamo Px107 for indoor practice next week.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AirKing
    Are you lubricating your pellets?
    So am i supposed to lube the pellets too? Don't bullets lube prevent the barrel from leading? How must I lube my pellet and with what? Will alox bullet lube work (I have a box full of Lee Alox lube)?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm almost scared to tell this, but this what I heard from a guy. He takes a half cup of "Wash and Wax" car polish in half a bucket of water and washes his pellets in that, then through them out to dry in the sun. He says its the most even coating of lube on pellets that you can get.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I dont know about pistols but it is conducive to rifles if you lube your pellets with a few drops in the pellet tin with a pellet lube like Napier pellet lube or its equivelant. they cost about R35 for a small bottle. Care should be taken that not too much lube is on the pellets especially at the back of the pellets in spring guns because it can lead to dieseling (explosion of the compressed air in the piston)but this does not really happen with lubes specially made for airguns. I dont knoow lee Alox lube..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The only way to find out if lubing will work for your gun is by trying it, some airguns like it others not. My AA 410 loved lubed pellets at one stage, then all of a sudden it changed its mind and the grouping opened up.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Wash your pellets with Benzene and dry it with a cloth. It takes 3 minutes and the pellets do not need lube afterwards as benzene leaves a smooth layer and looking like it has been chromed. Lubing has never helped me or Marguitte anything at all. I personally think it is mirth. Speak to Mike/Louis at AA

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Its not the pellets, they'll be squeezed to fit the rifling, you are losing pressure due to expansion of the moving parts.
    Remember when you pumped up your bike tyres (theres that word again)The cylinder gets pretty hot, pretty quick, usually through lack of lube in the tube.