Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air gun publications etc...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Default Air gun publications etc...

Have just picked up a copy of the August Airgunner and Airgun World at a 2nd hand magazine shop.
    Their editorial content remains crappy and infantile to say the least and the mags are full of the same repetitive ads.
    Seems like I have not missed much since reading my last copy in 2003.
    Also the writers seem to like absolutely every rifle they test.
    And lastly I see that there are some real uglies coming out....the new Air Arms TDR, the new Parker Hale Phoenix abomination , the Webley with the custom Greensleeves style engraved stock, the Daystates X2s with the black composite stocks out of Lord of the Rings, the Gladi8r \Domin8tr eeekkk....and I thought that the Careers took the ugly prize.

Maybe I am just an airgun snob...hehe...dont flame me please!
    :boo:

SAACE's Avatar SAACE

Even more uglies in Dec issue, that Career 707 is a ugly looking mother

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ya Swaer

Here in the Vaal we call those Fuglies
    Fortunately very few of our shooters have dared to go the career way. Although the career 9mm and Quackenbush .30 and 45 are highly spoken of in terms of coyote and piggy rolling

See ya

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

have a look at the career 707 III (single cylinder), or the 707 deluxe II ("target stock&quot, slightly better but still fugly.

re the uk mags.........what i don't understand is that (not sure which test it was), but they tested a 12ftlbs career 707 with open sight.......theses guns are designed to perform at high power levels (.20 @ 45-60 ftlbs) and i yet to find someone with a pcp and shoots open sight (bar forced/competition shooters)................to me it's like testing chinese/cheapie B2 running @ 20+ ftlbs with the big nikko scope.

ice's Avatar ice

Guido, bet you wouldn't disagree with a certain test in Airgun World July edition....Steyr hunter customised by Hydrographics....according to Tim Finley - the closest you can get to the perfect hunter.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

didnt read that one...I inly pick up a copy of Airgun World once a year....
    Steyr HP...perfect all-rounder..hehehe

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

I agree with Guido that the quality of reviews in the airgun comics are not what they used to be. The biggest problem for reviewers is the fact that the bulk of the revenue coming into the magazines is from selling advertising space and this has a knock on effect of the magazine cannot risk upsetting the advertisers for fear of losing money.

It is a sad state of affairs but for those people who rely on the mags for their income they have to play by their employers rules.

I have written several articles for other gun mags in the UK and I do try to be honest about what I am reviewing whether I like the gun/scope or not.

As far as ugly guns go perhaps we should add the FWB P70, Walther Dominator and the Stealth/Talon to the list.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi There,
    1st Off I note that you are a Leupold fan. Nothing wrong with that. I also notice that your scopes are mostly not variable magnification. Any specific reason for that?
    The point I try to make*(This being my second attempt at it)is about reviews being biased due to being paid to give "good" reviews. What is the point? If this is the case we might just as well not write or read reviews as we all know it is not honestly what you think Having said that, if I look at motor car/bike magazines, I see that most of the reputable :messed: ones gives you a clear cut review, good or bad. They don't seem to loose too many advitisers and or money due to the fact that people buy the magazine for its honest "expert" opinion on the product/car,rifle etc. There is soo musch politics and crap in shooting that I am not surprised that we cant't get going in South Africa, That is right fron school to seniors level. I have only been involved in the air rifle shooting fratinity for about a year now and I feel like taking my rifle by the barrel and fling it soo far away that nobody will find it ever again. (That goes for FT also.) It is the biggest rip off I have seen in my entire life and in any sport. :messed:
    A merrt Xmas to everybody and theirs and may the wind always blow into your face.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Gerrie,

I have used Leupold scopes of one sort or another on my guns for about the last 14 years. The reason being I was getting fed up with the quality of the cheap scopes, I have never yet had a Leupold break or fail me in any way.

As far as my fixed mag versus variable mag issue, well if I added my firearms onto the list you would find a 4-12x40 Vari-XII with mutli line reticle from Premier Reticles on my .22 CZ Varmint and a 3-9x50 Vari-XII on my .243 BRNO ZK601, plus a 1.5-5x20 Vari-XIII and 6.5-20x40EFR sitting in a drawer currently unemployed, and I have just sold two other 6.5-20x40 Vari-XIII's that had become surplus to requirements. The scopes on my rifles have been juggled around until I was happy that the specifications fitted my requirements.

The other point is that none of my Leupolds are new, I purchased them all second hand so I tended to buy what I fancied when the price was right. For instance the M8 4x28 I got from my local gunshop a few years ago when they had just bought a batch of Ruger Mini 14 rifles from the local police, I believe the rifles were exported but the scopes were sold to local shooters for ?80 each (figure R11 to the pound). The 6x36 came from a friend of mine for ?75 as he paid that for it somewhere else then decided he did not want it. I think the best bargain to date had to be the 3-9x33 compact which I found at an arms fair for ?75 because it had some slight damage to the elevation turret (which I replaced with a target turret at a later date).

On the subject of reviews - in the airgun sector you are dealing with what is in effect a very small niche market and no-one seems willing to rock the boat, it is just as well that you can find opinions on the various websites where people can be more open with their thoughts.

As far as rip-offs go I think it would be harder to find a bigger rip off than designer branded clothing and sportswear!!

Regards

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Dale,
    Thanks for the info, it makes sense. AFA the rip off is concerned. Don't worry too much, I was in a bad mood due to just having been ripped off again. My grand dad always said: It is not about being ripped of, it is about being stupid enough to be ripped off.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Dale,
    Thanks for the info, it makes sense. AFA the rip off is concerned. I was in a bad mood due to just having been ripped off, AGAIN. My grand dad always used to say: It is not about BEING ripped off, it is about being STUPID ENOUGH to be ripped off. That is why I was upsett. Enjoy the Xmas and I hope to hear from you again in the near future.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Gerrie,

I hope you had a good Christmas.

In respect of the rip off statement, no problem. While there is no reasonable excuse for over pricing, I do understand from my visits to SA, some of the situation that your dealers are facing. As I understand it airguns are hit with a hefty import tax, and as they are all imported there is shipping to add on top as well. By the time the product reaches the customer the price is being forced high so the dealer can manage to gain a margin.

Until you get home produced product this is a situation that will continue. Also given the newness of the airgun market you do not have a large pool of second hand guns to draw from as we have in the UK - that is something that will take time to develop.

One other point I would imagine from a dealers perspective is that they are probably seeing a loss of their firearms business as a result of the new firearms control act, but see a slim lifeline with airguns although they need to be careful not to kill the goose that lays the golden egg by excess pricing.

Happy New Year

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Dec 29 2004, 10:55AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Dale,
    As it happens I work in the import industry. Air Rifles only pay 7% import duty,nothing more. A F A shipping is concerned, the importer must compare sea with air and decide what will be cheaper per unit in money and time. Bear in mind that you pay a minimum of 1 ton by sea and probably 10-15 Kg minimum per air depending on the country of export. Also the SA Rand has done extremely well the last couple of months but we don't see a saving. AA field pellets rather went up in price. Let me give you an example, as you know S.A. We paid R112 per tin of 500 Accupells in JHB while I could get the same deal for R49- in Durban, from the importer, over 200% mark-up. After kicking up dust we pay R65. That is what is getting to me. Everybody is in business to make a profit anfd I have no problem with that but lets be fair, 200% is a bit much to swallow. I can go on.
    With the rest I could not agree with you more. I am afraid this is happening as we speak(write) Most of the guys sell cheap rubbish for high prices while they don't have an idea what they are talking about. People then gets P'ed off and don't want to touch an air gun again.
    Happy New Year to you too, and all your loved onesl. May the wind always blow into your face when hunting and not at all when FT shooting. Keep in touch.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Gerrie,

Thanks for the info on import duty on airguns, I had been told a higher figure than that.

Perhaps it is time for someone with some capital to start looking at importing quality used air rifles to supplement the market.

Dale

Martin2's Avatar Martin2

Howzit fellow gunowners,

A friend just gave me the latest copy (January) of UK Gun Mart, (for Christmas).

As you probably know, airgunning is very popular there now, (with handguns banned).

I have no need for this magazine and would like to donate it to the site for scanning.

Of the three hundred pages, about sixty or so feature the latest airguns.

The front cover features the new BSA Superten BBK PCP.

Interested? Either Email me or phone on 011 391 2979. Cell 082 392 9744

By the way, nice site.