Thread: Spring twist motions

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Spring twist motions

I have a question for the team..

I know that one of the problems here is that I was not holding the rifle firm enough.
    Now for the question. Does the twist of the spring also tend to pull the rifle clockwise or anti clockwise depending on the twist of the spring. What happened to me this weekend was while I was doing some shooting the first 3 or so were like a shotgun all over the place but then every thing settled down and I started to hit the mark. Well the shots or most landed in a tight group or around 2.5 cm with 3 on the make. The grouping was a little to the right and below the bull the distance being about equal right and below distance being about 1.5 cm. This was got me thinking that the twist of the spring as it releases causes the rifle to pull in a clockwise motion. That is why I said that I was not holding the rifle firm enough as this motion caused me to place my shots in a good grouping but off the intended bull zone except for those 3 that made the mark when I did hold the rifle firmly. Has anyone noticed this effect or have any comments on it. The scope was zoned in correctly as I have made the same grouping at the same distance at other times and made a big hole where the bull is/was. The target was the type that you place in one of the pellet trap units.
    8)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

re the spring twist, is this not the reason why on tuning guides, "they" recom. polishing the spring ends, and lube/grease accordingly.......also some of the tuning kits includes low friction/derin discs/spring guides on spring ends......to allow the spring to twist/rotate freely, and therefore eliminate/reduce "side recoil"........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks urabus.. I got a better understanding of the action now. It loks like I will have to do a tune up and also adjust the scope a bit to over come this and hold the thing firmer..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

personally, when shooting a springer, i get the best result by "resting" the fore-end on the front hand, rather than griping it firmly........this applies when shooting off the bench and in field positions.......don't fight it, allow it to move freely, the key is to be consistent as springers are way more hold sensitive than pcp's.....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Andr?, go to http://www.funsupply.com/airguns/tech.html and scroll down to airgun tech and you find everything you want to know on how to shoot spring guns more accurately and what the best way is to hold the gun while firing. Good luck

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

THanks all. I am planning and saving for a good airrifle something like a Webley and Scott, not certain what model as yet. I rather like the carbine version.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The technique that comes to mind with springers is the "howitzer", like a cannon that fires and absorbs the recoil by allowing the barrel to slide backwards. Springers should not be held tightly but should be allowed to "howizter" backwards, if that makes any sense.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

With my HW97K, I have to hold on to it to get good groupings. Too lightly and the pellets go all over the place.
    :dunno
    I have to grip that big boy tightly!!! ;impgrin

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i rest the hw97k on the shooting glove.....maybe the thick padding absorbs the recoil.