Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we being taken for a ride?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Are we being taken for a ride?

So for the last month or two I was in the market for a quality one piece mount for my Diana Mod 54,the ones from Sportsmatch really apealed to me(Dampa Mount DM60 and a adjustable one piece the AOP55). So I started searching the web talking to dealers etc. In the UK they retail for about ?42 (42xR11=R462) so if I import it myself it would be another ?5-8 (R80) so R462+R80=R542 and that is without insurance and banking charges and also it will be snail mail. I dont have a credit card and I would rather spend my cash on some dealer in SA so I thought lets give the Official SA Agents a try, guess what they want R1250 for the Dampa Mount!!!I then posted a Wanted post for a one piece mount and Importer (Louis from Air Arms) PM'ed me and told me he can get me the AOP55 adjustable mount for R555 and R740 for the Dampa.This was a much much better proposition so I accepted and decided on the AOP55 mount and transferred the cash into his account and on the same day he contacted me to give me a tracking number. Stirling service!!!!!! Now my question is how can the Official Agent charge me almost 3 times the retail amount from the UK?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ask him and I will bet you his answer will be: "I also have to make a living"

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

99 percent of the time the answer they give me is "it is becuase the exchange rate" well I work in the financial markets and i know what the exchange rate is and i can gaurantee you it is not the "fluctuating exchange rate. I understand that he has to make a living and that is why I am eager to spend money locally to help out our dealers but hell I am not stupid i know when someone is trying to rip me off.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So (should) say all of us.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

maybe they brought in the Dampamounts when the Rand was 18 to the UKP and the mounts have been sitting in their stores ever since...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This is the email I received on the 22nd of march: "Thank you for the e-mail we can order a dampa mount high that you can use up 56mm price R1250.00" So they have to order it at the retail price of ?40 ( and as agents they will get at least 20 to 30% discount so they can get it for approximately ?30 (R330) and lets say all cost incl it will be less than R600. If think we are looking at a mark up of over a hundred percent here.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It is just like PMP ammo is cheaper in the US than here. Look, if an item costs R100, say 200 people will buy it at R115, you earn R3000 and if only 35 people will buy it at R200, you atucally earn R3500. That's life.
    On the other hand, when a dealer buys something as stock, he stands a chance of not selling it. Some of the dealers I deal with offer products at much lower price if I order them and pay up front because they know that said item will not stay on the shelf.

When i was looking for a Crosman 1377, I saw they were selling that stuff for $60 (and tha's the retail price) add $30 shippment and 20% import tax, it will be less than R650 but most shops want R1200 and up!

That's why I always order from the net if I can (but no more Baddeal.co.za).

It is sad that the American companies don't usually ship overseas (you guys know of any place that does?).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Did you know that we don't just get ripped locally. I have been looking for a airsoft lately and asked about my mates in Asia about a few Hong Kong based sites. Guess what? They checked the site and told me that the retail prices on the web pages are 20-40% higher than the retail prices than at the shops!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It is just odd that the official agents for the mounts asks almost double the price that importer asks.I was very impressed wih importers service delivery(something so rare in SA) and price perhaps he should become the official agent.Maybe the agent knows that because he is the sole official agent he might think that he has a monoploy on the mounts and charge such a high price.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Most dealers in the USA will send you stuff. The problem is the money. I recently tried to get an 11mm to 7/8" Weaver rail from Airgun Express, they dont take any credit cards outside of the US. Fortunately I'm dealing direct with the makers, Card no problem. Some of them even send stuff without waiting for payment, some chance we have of that happening here.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brain,

I must have sent e-mails (about shipping the stuff here) to at least 50-60 dealers during the past 2 years. I got about 7 guys replying.

Maybe those people just don't answer e-mails?

The other problem is that some them told me that I need a UPS account for them to ship the stuff. The worst part is, they usually ship UPS only and the cost of shippment via UPS is OUCH! Some of them also only recevie money by PayPal.

How does paypal work?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

actually the biggest rip off is local food and consumable products chain shops... few years back.. the weekly shopping list in pick'n pay wont be cost more than R250 for me.... but now.. have to spend R700 to cover the same thing...

becoz the living cost is climbing up.... and that will influence everything....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

paypal act as your secure payment agent... they will pay whoever that u authorised to do so... paypal keep all ur credit card detail and make sure nobody else can get hold it. they will charge the seller for commission of each deal..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

PayPal is a pain in the butt, its probably the most complicated payment system. You have to wait for a code to come on your next bank statement for which they charge you a $1.95 for. Unfortunately the code is only valid for a set time and if you dont get your statement before it expires you start to throw things around in rage. Somehow I have to get ?10 to Dave at Chairgun, guess what he uses???
    My 0.20 barrel is coming from the States, Tim, who I dealt with even sent me the Postal Rates link so I knew what it was costing before I ordered.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Tim McMurray also told me in advance how much everything would come to. No hassles, got a reply on email the same day.