Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamo pro mags - Not to shabby ??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Gamo pro mags - Not to shabby ??

Normally I use JSB pellets in my B40. Last night I decided to use Gammo pro magnums just to check them out. I found that the Gammo pellets were giving me a tighter grouping more consistently than the JSBs at 40m. I've only been in the game for a year, so I still regard myself as a newbie. From what I've been told and from what I've seen on forums I was always under the impression that flat heads were better than domes.

I'm so blown away by the Gammos that I'm thinking of using them as my primary ammo at competitions and I'll get a tin of Air Arms dome pellets to check them out too.

Anyone else had this experience ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Personaly I believe if you use the JSB domes instead of the flats you will get better group at 40m than with the gamos.Flatheads are made for target shooting because they cut neat holes making scores easier on the paper target, I believe the reason flats are ussually more accurate than domes on shorter(sub 30 m) range is not because of pellet shape but because "target pellets' for example flat points are made to tighter tolerences in weight and shape than for example "hunting pellets"(mostly dome shaped pellets).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks AirKing, I'll give the JSB domes a shot then.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Flatheads or wadcutters are no good past 20M in my experience.

The Gamo Pro Magnums are quite good for the price but I always get the occasional flyers...

JSB Exacts\AA Fields are always the firm favourites...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dunno who told you what about the flatheads BadCarma.
    You will never find a 'field'/'hunter'/'field target' pellet with a flat head , and there is a reason for that. Flat headed pellets perform brilliant with target rifles(normally lower powered than hunting or field target rifles) and at the shorter distances.
    At longer distances factors like speed,aerodinamics & drag etc becomes critical and this is where the domes (note domes,not pointed) outperforms all other types of pellets with regards to stability, retained energy and penetration.
    Lewis had good (short and sweet) description of all this on one of his old website's pages, do you still have it Lewis?
    Anyway, I find the Gamo Pro Magnums to be very good value for money. If your rifle likes them then stick to them. You will find that the more expensive domes will probably group a little bit better at the extreme ranges and would want to use that for competitions. My AirArms like the Gamo's too and I often use it in fun shoots.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cool, this has been a great help, thanks guys. Guido I'll be contacting you for prices on JSB domes.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

BadCarma,
    Flat nosed (Wudcutters) pellets were meant for paper shooting up to maybe 20 meters maximum. They are no good for accurate shooting above 10m. (What is accurate?)
    Gammo pellets are quite good. What you should be looking for is consistent accuracy. You might find that you have 100 good shots, even ?same hole? groupings. The next shot(s) are way off. Flyers come to light with all pellets I have used so far. It is extremely frustrating, but it happens. Just this Sunday past I was shooting at 50m from a bench with AA. The whole day went very well, but just all of a sudden I shot two pellets about 1 cm low, although the cross hairs were still on the target with the follow-up. Two flyers out of that tin, after around 300 shots fired. You decide if that is a good pellet or not? I don?t think you can decide about things like accuracy, no matter rifle or ammo, after only say 10, or even 500 shots. You could hand pick say 30 or 40 pellets for competition use. I have seen Dale select 10 pellets out of a tin and shoot a much better grouping than when he shoots with pellets randomly take from the tin. What does he look for? I don?t have the foggiest, all pellets looks the same to me. My 2c worth.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have ordered a tin of JSB heavies from importer and I will have them on friday, I cant wait to try them, I think I have tried almost every pellet in the world except for the JSB's and from all those different and expensive pellets there are only 3 kinds so far that groups well enough to be used. What you can also do Bad carma is to go on the web and do some searches about your gun and I am sure there will be testimonials from people advising which pellet will be good in your gun,by the way if anybody want a tin of 480 H & N Field Target trophy 8.6gr they can have it for R50(I paid R79) since they dont worrk in my gun.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Same thing here with the Gamo's, tight groups with the odd flyer. But at the price per tin I don't mind the odd flyer. They are also very effective for hunting.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

BadKarma contact Boondock for JSB pellets

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

On the subject of pellets. Have you guys tried BOXERS yet? A few people I have asked find them extremely useful in the accuracy and hunting arena. They work well in my Gammo Shadow at around 900Ft/sec. for the light 8.?g and just over 800 for the heavy 10.?g. The problem is you don?t know which one you are buying.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I am not very good at air gun stuff but the in reloading, longer bullets (assuming the rifling twist is tight enough to stabilize the projectle) usually give better accuracy due to the longer bearing surface hence better chance of bullet lining up straight while going down the bore. In the case pellets, I suspect at the same pellet length, faltpoints have longer distance between the two bearing surfaces hence more accurate.

If the gun is so consistance that every shot has the same velocity and no wind, there is not reason why flat points are not as accurate assumeing that you judge the distance well (ie bullet drop). But then there is wind and velocity variations. That is why they used wadcutters in centerfire pistol paper punching and round nose for 200m metal plate works.

All in all the accuracy hasn't got that much to do with bullet but rather consistance (if there is no wind and the range judging is right), that is why the handgunners size the cast bullets and the target shooters and brench resters hand sort their bullets by weighting them. Gerrief has rightly pointed out that already. I have shot 2 tins gamo pro-magnum and found some of them would drop into the chamber while some would need various degree of pressure to seat, not a very good sign. One day, when I grow up, i will have a block of iron drilled at various diameters to check the pellets.

Last thing, every reloader will tell you that projectiles will behave differently in diffferent guns (even same made same model) and there is no hard and fast rules. some guns are just less fussy than the others. iF IT WORKS FOR YOU IT WORKS FOR YOU.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Gerrief, if that tin was Crosmans Dale was probably trying to select the 10 cleanest pellets of the bunch!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

DSF,
    Nothing wrong with Crosman AccuPell when scleaned. As it happened that day Dale found one AccuPell amongst the AA and he dryly commented with a smile "This must have been a very bad batch."

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Boxer work pretty good in my CZ . Even the flyers are only 15mm or so aout at 35m .