Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawke Scopes

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Hawke Scopes

I finally have my dream springer setup (well almost) which is a Diana 54 with adjustable one piece Sportsmatch mount(thanks Importer) and Hawke Nite Eye 4-16x50 IR.

I brought an English Company, Chinese Made Target 6-24x50 scope at the AIM show but it wasnt to my liking so I swopped it for the Hawke. Wow what a difference! The Hawke is awesome, lenses are as clear as Swarofski crystals(almost).The illuminated reticle is great with the 11 adjustable brightness settings. I will definetely recommend this scope and for the +-R1300 I think it is a bargain.Now they should only start importing the 6.5-20x50 nite eye with milldot IR!!!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The Hawke 6-24 Nite Eye SR12 is even better than the mil-dot version, optics are clearer too.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yeah, have to agree for the price hawke's optics are pretty good........except maybe the sidewinder @ high mags.
    another good buy is the earlier nikko platinum tactical/night eater range........

still............ you get what you pay for........... for 6.5-20X bracket have a look through the lynx 6.5-20 X 44 or better still leupold VX3 6.5-20 x 40 and you will see.........

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

It will be interesting to see how long that scope lasts on the Diana.I like my Haeks , I however have heard a few people give them bad reviews.Nite eye is just such a nice hunting scope.If the mag was better it might even make an ok Ft scope.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If we look around ourselfs at people like Herman that shoots with a 16x AGS scope only and outshoots most of us, it is clear that good equipment, not necessary the most expensive, combined with a good dose of skill, can work wonders.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan, i havent fired alot of pellets with the hawke/sportsmatch/diana combination, if I get to 2000 pellets I will let you know how the combo is holding up. From what I have read it seems that most scope problems for the heavy recoilers is due to poor mounts and mounting and using the wrong pellets. I hope the scope holds up to the recoil since they say the scope is springer rated

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thats only part of the problem. A mount like the Dampa mount has shock absorbing rubber bushes built in to take some of the kick. Even if you have a proper one piece mount, the full recoil of the rifle is transferred to the scope. This is where the quality of the scope becomes crucial. The better quality scope you have, the better the ability of the scope to withstand the recoil cycle.

So, if you put a cheap scope on a springer or gasram, expect the lenses to start shifting and the reticle to break quite soon.

To me, scope quality goes hand in hand with the quality of the mounts.
    I've been there. Thought I'd skimp on the mounts after forking out for the gasram. Well, I broke two mounts and destroyed one scope before I finally bought a proper mounting system and a Bushnell Elite 4200.
    Never looked back again.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Spyker I also looked at the Bushnel 4200 6-24 but again the "exchange rate element" comes in,US $375 = R2362 but in SA its about R4800-5500. Strange thing is the Hawke cost ?139 in the UK and in SA it is R1300 even weirder is the fact that the mount is ?37 and in SA its R1250,now how do you explain that?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Profit Profit Profit Profit!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

who's got the bushnell 4200's in ZA? they got 8-32??
    i might get something to put it on....................

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Urabus, i spoke to the guys from bushnell/tasco at the Aim show, he said he didn't have stock right now of the 4200 6-24 he only gad some of the 3200 range. I unfortunately did not take their numbers.I can remember they were from joburg.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

oic, tks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Got 6-24 from overseas. Much cheaper. That was before they brought out the 8-32.

Urabus, so enlighten us. Which rifle are you getting? Daystate??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

honestly i don't know yet.............

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Urabus what about the Daystate Air Ranger? I see you can get it in 12 ,35, 50, and 80 ft lbs versions! It is also very good looking to me!