Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a beginner air gun

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default I need a beginner air gun

After shooting springers for a while, I have decided that I can do without a spring piston. It is not funny that My springer can't group well even when I have perfect sight picture, steady hold and well controled trigger squeeze (well I tried anyway). As i am one of those low level researcher in a government funded place, my air-gunning buget is rather slim (very slim). My idea is to get a cheap CO2 or PCP for some club level FT for the next year or two while saving up for a decent PCP.

I am thinking maybe I can just buy a Industry QB-79 CO2 for R800 or Bam51 and then sell it later. I will just use my scope in got back in my Bisley f-class wanna-be days. Do you guys think it would worth me while? I pretty much boils down to shooting a cheap gun or not shooting at all at this stage.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

stopper the bam 51 is good value for money, one thing to remember is you get what you pay for.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I know, it is like when i was 18 and want a new car but did have money so I had a choice between getting a R6000 VW while saving up or walking, the question, does the car at least drive?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Warrick I busy tuning a QB79 for me at this stage. I got a complete QB79 ie Rifle, CO2 Tank, Scope, mounts and tuning for cheaper then I would have paid for a standard Bam.

Remember to make a BAM cost effective you will need need to add a quickfill adapter and either a Scuba tank or pump.

If you keep your startup costs as low as possible, you can upgrade faster or atleast that is what I am doing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Stopper.
    I've been there and I did it.
    First I wanted all the power an air rifle could give, so I bought a Gamo Hunter 1250 and what a waist it was. It?s powerful, but you really have to learn to shoot the beast. Luckily the barrel bent in the first month and I had the opportunity to read this and other forums in the mean time. I also had all the hehe?s from this forum you can think of. I deserved it though.
    Then I bought a BAM 51 from Huffnpuff with a BAM pump: The Rifle was ? R1900, Pump was ? R800. So for less than the price I paid for the Hunter, I?ve got a PCP and I can fill it and this Bam is a Damn 'lekker' rifle to play with. You learn a heck of a lot in a very short time. It?s easy to strip and make adjustments to the power. It was just as powerful to start with as the Hunter 1250 and most light weight pellets will go super sonic, but then you start calming the little beast to what you want. To get it down to FT shooting fpe?s, you?ll only need to buy a transfer port with a smaller hole and I don?t know what it will cost, but it can?t be that much. With a hand pump there is no extra cost filling the rifle, although pumping is a pain in the backside, but when you upgrade to a scuba tank, there will always be another beginner to buy the pump from you.
    Warrick is the expert on the BAM?s on this site and I believe is also selling at a special and he can tune it for little extra to what you want.
    Go PCP?Go BAM
    Read here:
    https://www.airrifle.co.za/forum_viewtopic.php?11.13804

:mblah

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Rather go for the BAM than the CO2, you will not regret it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

my 2c worth...........
    if i can do it again............
    get a decent springer from the begining and shoot it for as long as it takes to save up for the dream pcp.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No, no, don't wait. Buy a BAM.
    It helps with your collection

:mblah
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Mar 30 2006, 03:25PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I guess I will wait for Alien to play with his rifle 1st and then hear who good that is. THe QB17 can be had for R700 (Greatdeal got it for less but don't think I will order from them again), then I will go raid my paintball buddies back yards for a cylinder and then it will be less than R800. I will also make my own stock from the stock blanks I have got. It should be still cheaper than a good springer.

How many shot can I get from the cylinder?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Stopper, speak to Boondock he's got some nice BAMs in. I got my B40 from him at a killer price out the box.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What is a B40?

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

b = bam

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Remember that an untuned QB79 only pushes about 650ft/s where as a tuned rifle can push out 750 - 800ft/s. Tuned to 750ft/s you will get about 400 shots on a 9oz tank. 9oz tank is the largest tank that will fit on the rifle. Have a friend that is currently redesigning a whole new stock for my rifle (and it is not even here yet).

The QB's isnt really all that popular in SA but appently the are very popular in Canada (not that it is worth anything).
    http://www.airgunforum.ca has some nice examples of what can be one to a QB78 (the version without the big tank).

Hope that helps.

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16

User Info Menu

a soda stream bottle also works, +-300 shots i had one on my qb

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

any special attachments needed to fit a sodestream bottle?