Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Working" Knives

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default "Working" Knives

I am by no means a hardcore knife collector. From my teenage years I started “collecting” knives. Not having tons of cash meant that I mainly bought Spanish knives (El Cheapo!).

I saved up some money and bought one Spyderco and two Kershaw knives. In the end I had about 40 knives and I still have some of these in a wooden box.

I realised a few years on that I was reluctant to use most of the knives I owned and I decided to only get knives that I was prepared to use.

I have kept a “pocket knife” in my pocket just about every day for the last 8 years now. I don’t want to keep any knife on me that I’m going to think twice about using for any purpose.

Wire, wood, plastic, screws, biltong – whatever, I must be prepared to use my knife on it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My favourite "working" knife is the Cape Union Mart Blaze.

It is a great looking slim liner-lock knife. 440C steel, so you really have to try hard to make it rust. It takes a great edge, but doesn't keep its edge like carbon steel (you do need a good set of stones/ sharpening system).

Inspired decision to have a hole-style thumb opener on this knife – your thumb never gets sore and it ‘grips’ your thumb for an easy open every time. I have had one of these for 5 years and it goes into my wetsuit when I go fishing and has even been in the water bodyboarding – they are solid knives.

I have 5 of these! 3 scattered around and two still in the packaging.

Cape Union Mart has just stopped making these so grab one if you can. Great all-round pocket knife. I paid R90 for the first one I bought (more recently around R160) – and this is the most important thing about the knife.....at that price you don’t think twice about taking it out to use – even if you damage/ break it.
    Here it is:

Last edited by Rodders; 25-06-10 at 22:07.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Another favourite pocket knife is El-Cheapo DOW Maple knives. Cheap as chips. Also 440 steel.

I like the designs of these knives. I have a couple of the DOW Maple. At the price I USE these knives. At approx R110 the liner lock doesn’t allow the blade to move a micro-millimetre.

Last edited by Rodders; 25-06-10 at 21:57.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think Superknives are really clever. I have three.

All liner-lock, all thumb openers. One with a rubber handle (the black one) stays in the garage for projects.

The bigger one with rubberized camo grip goes on field/ fishing trips (Camo grip is a bit silly when the rest of the knife blade is shiny black/ silver!). The replaceable blades are not good for any dainty work, prising or heavy work, but as a cutting blade they are unmatched.

Abuse the blade, take it out and reload. (Just avoid using in a situation where a blade fragment is going to splinter off and hurt you).

I have also got rid of all craft knives that use replaceable blades in the house. I hate those plasticky craft knives – you never know when they’re locked/ unlocked – an accident waiting to happen. They also have the scored sections that allow you to snap off a section – I don’t like that at all – health hazard.

With these Superknives the blade is either open or closed. Simple. They all come with clips and lanyard holes.

Here they are:

Last edited by Rodders; 25-06-10 at 21:59.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

And here they all are - my small selection of "working' knives:

n
    Last edited by Rodders; 25-06-10 at 22:03.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I’d be very interested to hear what you folks use as a “working’ knife whether El Cheapo or super expensive.
    Extra points for posting a photo of your favourite working knife.

Protea FT Team '09/'10
    National FT Champ '10

User Info Menu

The matchbox puts it nicely in perspective, doesn't it.
    Nice idea.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Here is mine:

Chris Reeve Insingo:

By far my most expensive knife. I bought it to replace my other workhorse that I was forcibly removed of (I was attacked and mugged).

Small Regular Sebenza. What a great knife. If I see a photo of it I long for it again. I really need to get one of these again. Had it for 1 and a bit years. Used it for everything short of a screwdriver (never understood the use of a knife as a screwdriver) Hunting, skinning, cutting wire, bushcraft related stuff etc etc. I really had a bond with this knife. Took me three years of saving to buy it.

I made custom scales for it as well (see the orange G10...)

And then my Burger EXK (used here to cut sandpaper:

and then my 550HG griptilian

I also had a Large Burger EXK that I rotated for EDC.

I also carried a 17 year old Swiss army knife (Climber) with me that I recently replaced with a Huntsman. It has the saw extra.
    Buy what you like and use it. A knife was made to use IMO.

I do a lot of pipe work on farms and never know what I am going to encounter as I do few odd jobs.

This was my perfect EDC before the mugging (the swiss featured was a present and the swiss tool is in my back pack, both were not stolen as they were in the car)

Rodders

I had a knife like you first Picture, but the lock did not last on mine, hope you have some better experience.
    Last edited by marthinus1; 26-06-10 at 19:14.

Rest in Peace Uncle Alan 4/11/2016

User Info Menu

For the last 15 plus years my so called "working knife" has been part of a leatherman multi-tool, started with the basic tool, then went on to a wave, and for the last two years I've carried a skeletool.
    IMO the shape of the handle and the fact that the blade is in the lower section makes the skeletool, feel more like a normal single use knife than a multi tool.
    While it would not be my first choice to skin a springbok with, it would be able to handle the job if a more suitable blade was not available.
    And with leatherman's life-time back-up you have a working blade thats is indestructible at a reasonable price.
    I for one could not see myself using one of those expensive hand made knives as a day to day working knife.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

That Cape Union Mart Blaze, the top edge, it looks as if one would be able to file a guthook into that area where it's got that "kink"....

That possible?

Rest in Peace Uncle Alan 4/11/2016

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fucius View Post
    That Cape Union Mart Blaze, the top edge, it looks as if one would be able to file a guthook into that area where it's got that "kink"....

That possible?
    No the top of the blade is 3mm thich at that point, the idea (I think) of the kink is to allow you to lay your index finger along the the top for better control.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Fucius how is the Charge TTi?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

rodders i used to have a lot of knives that wasnt that great but did the job, but i had this longing in me for one quality piece that can do it all,

so i consolidated my knife collection and decided what I really needed and went out and got it and have been happy ever since. this is my EDC.

big strong Zero Tolerance ZT200 folder for brute work. tiny multi fucntion Victorinox SAK. this combo is perfect for me.

my take on the whole knife thing is that it stays a tool, use it, if you spend R1000 on 7 knives that is mediocre or 1 that is great i will opt for the one that is great every time! it will last longer and is safer and will serve you better, and it will most likely have a lifetime gaurantee as well.

did i mention i splitted some wood with this brute of a folder last night?! AND it stayed MOER sharp!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Most of my knives are used for fish filleting and have to be ultra sharp, so I generally buy cheap low carbon stuff that I can put a quick edge on as fish scales blunt a knife quicker than running it on a file, I always keep a stone in my knife bucket when at sea and give the blade a swift scrape over after cleaning each fish or cutting bait.
    I find that the quicker a blade will rust the better short term razor like edge I can put on it, but this is just my take on this

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Fucius how is the Charge TTi?
    The TTi? Why she's fine as can be, thx Guido.
    I see the "crimping tool" cutout on this 1 has a little "ridge" or "rim" in it compared to the photos you see on the web... You think I should remove it or leave it?