Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field Target power restrictions?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Field Target power restrictions?

forgive me if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't find the answer.. :dunno

why does the south africa FT rules incorporate the 12ft/lbs restriction for FT and HFT competitions?
    as i understand it, the 12ft/lbs is the maximum permitted for rifle ownership in the UK and so stands to reason that is the restriction for competition there.
    but if we have no power restrictions in south africa for ownership of an air rifle, why have we incorporated that power restriction in our competitions?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i asked that question few month back...

now. as far as i know the FT thing is from UK.. we know they have 12fpe power restriction... since this sport became popular .. then all shooters are play it under UK rule.. it's good to have 1 rule and all countries can apply and compete

i guess HFT is not restricted at 12fpe.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

from what i read according to HFT rules there is also the 12fpe restriction on rifles entering the HFT class.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

that's it..........except for USA, all other countries shoot FT @ 12ftlbs.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

re HFt........locally there's no formal body/organization.......so currently it depends on the club. afaik for eg. leeuwkop hft= all springers, and no ME restriction........well, if the shooter can consistently hit the kill zone out to 45-50m with a "mule" ie. gamo 1250 or diana 350 magnum then good for him/her.

CAR shoots under the UK rules.......

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

As Urabus states most countries other than the US operate FT to a power limit of around 12Ft.lbs (US has a 20Ft.lbs limit).

Now this might seem unfair to some, but, what is the problem? Do you really think that more velocity is better? Just worth considering that the Americans are at the disadvantage when they go oversease to compete - the one time I recall a US shooter winnig the worlds was in 2000, he promptly lost that in 2001 at the worlds in the UK - I know because I was there!

There is also the issue of the wear and tear on the targets - 12Ft.lbs knocks the hell out of the targets, higher powers accelerate that wear and targets are expensive.

Don't focus on velocity and power - accuracy and skill is the key.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thanks Dale - i did not want to start a debate on the power vs accuracy issue.. it is just that most rifles sold in south africa are not tuned to FT standards, so if u want to enter competition u need to spend more time and money having ur rifle worked on. I know that is part of the reason i dont enter. have spoken with a few other guys who said the same. its not a case of wanting to keep the rifle more powerful but rather a pain in the arse to spend more time and money getting ur rifle tuned for FT.
    so my point is, if the majority of rifles in SA are sold standard over 12fpe, why cant we relax that part of the rules in SA to encourage greater participation.?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

u got the point. that's why CAR allow to use hi power rifle for HFT.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

apparently CAR dont allow it - as Urabus said, they use the UK rules for HFT which does not allow anything over 12fpe.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

download this 25-mar shoot result u will see how many rifles over 12fpe in HFT.

http://www.capeairrifle.co.za/Result...5_Mar_2006.xls

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

realistically FT is not for everyone.
    even locally, just to be competitive, one needs a pcp (something like a S400) and a range finding scope.

FT is a specialized sport..........
    having said that much has got to do with the shooter.
    the infrastructure/rules (SAFTAA) are there, so one can be as serious or relaxed as one wants to be re FT shoots.

eg. my local club (Highway), we welcome anyone to come shoot our club shoots irrespective of pcp/springer/scope/ME (to a certain point...)
    but come internal league/provincial time........strict rules must be followed to ensure the integrity of the scores.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

afaik (as far as i know)..........i therefore stand corrected.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Stephen,

Although it may be a matter of time and some money to get a rifle tuned down to 12Ft.lbs, but there are side benefits, particularly with the likes of the BAM. In the standard guise these produce a pretty poor power curve for the number of shots.

Modifying a rifle such as this gives you gains in terms of the consistency and number of usable shots.

I would say that choosing to go with a lower power output is not realistically any disadvantage. Even if you hunt with an air rifle, 'only' having 12Ft.lbs is not really an issue - power does not substitute for proper shot placement and the ability to stalk your quarry, and I have an awful lot of hunting with my UK legal rifles.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thanks dale, do any rifles come tuned to FT regs straight out the box?? for sale here in south africa??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Stephen,
    Yes, Air Arms for one. They also manufacture high power rifles for export to countries where power above 12Ft/lb is allowed. (Like SA) It is not expensive to tune a decent rifle down to Ft standards. It is only a few and in most cases one screw that needs to be turned to set the power.