Thread: New to PCP

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default New to PCP

Hi Guys

I am looking at purchasing my first PCP Rifle, however I have a few questions to ask:

Where the hell do you buy these, I have searched in vain at dealers, everyone sells Gamo, barring one dealer I have not found a single PCP Rifle, the one dealer had a secondhand one which did not interest me.

I have read the thread on the BAM's, and I am a bit confused, seems like all kinds of mods are required to get consistent velocities etc. Is this over hyped or actually a problem?

What sort of ft\lbs can be achieved with the various PCP rifles?

What costs are involved to get the neccesary filling adapters and scuba tank?

Thanks in advance.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

my advice is not to rush into buying anything.

speak to the guys with real pcp experience like jason from gutherie shooting range or hennie from TS. or even better, go along to a club and see/ try 1st hand.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The trouble with buying anything these days is that one doesn't really have much of an opportunity to try out different guns and make a decision based on which gun shoots best in your hands. You only get to find out after purchase.

If you don't intend to shoot in a group like FT, the peer group pressure (not intended to offend the FT guys) to buy the best and most expensive kit is also less and you'll generally be happy with what you have as you won't have the comparisons with the countries best shots to make you feel like (maybe) your gun is poor. Its easy to blame cheaper kit for poor scores than it is to practise with what you have, and it could end up an expensive exercise, especially if you intend to compete.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '09/'11/'12/'15/'16
    SAFTAA FT Colours '14

User Info Menu

First decide what you intend doing with it. FT, hunting, both or just plinking. Then decide how much you are willing to fork out. Unless you intend to do just plink - then don't buy a PCP - buy the best scope you can afford. DO speak to an expert like Hennie at TS or Jason they will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

PCP takes plinking up to a new level, I plink mostly with my BAM and I'm never going back to a springer again, unless I fork out big bucks on a decent one like a prosport or hw77/97 (which I probaly won't). There's greater reward in just knowing that you ARE going to hit whatever you're aiming at, whereas (magnum) springers can be very much a hit and miss affair with recoil - springers are much harder to shoot well with. Also, PCP gives you the benefit of being able to silence the noise considerably such that nobody would even know you were plinking. Its hard to disguise the mechanical noise of a springer though. The only real downside to PCP is the extra kit you need to lug around to fill, but I guess one learns to live with it.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Decide what you are planning to use it for and work from there. Cheaper rifles always seem to need some kind of fiddling to be competitive. Air Arms rifles are competitive out of the box no matter which model you buy in the price range. AFAIK accuracy is even more important for hunting than for FT/Silhoutte/3P/tin cans
    No, I am not bias towards Air Arms it is just a fact, do some homework.
    Alas one day when I am big I will also own Steyr,Walther,Daystate,Theoben,Feinwerkbau,RWS,Web ley,Airforce,HW100's etc....
    ?Only accurate rifles are interesting?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you point the gun at something there's every likelyhood that you will hit it. Its nice to have a race gun but at the end of the day its how much work you put into what you shooting that counts. If you dont set it up nicely and work on your aim you wont hit a barn door at 20 paces.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for all the positive and friendly advice given.