Thread: Cleaning kits

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning kits

I?ve been trying to clean my barrel with a standard piece of gun barrel swab stuck through a standard loop head on the end of a gun-cleaning rod. All this is made for my caliber but it does not go into the barrel no matter how small I make the swab.

Over the weekend I went to the gun shop and bought a brush head cleaner made of copper or brass?I think. But this is so hard I?m scared to use it incase I damage the rifling. Am I being to much of a woes about this and I should just jam the thing in ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

better option........ use fishing line/string....etc make a loop and pull through with cleaning patches.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

But do we really need to clean the barrel? I understand that we need to clean barrels beacuse of powdetr residude build up and lead fouling but we don't get neither in air guns. So a slight film of oil (remember to remove the oil before shooting)is all is needed to keep the barrel from rusting.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You still get lead deposits into the barrel. Dpends if you want to clean it. Some rifles prefer a clean barrel, on others your groups will open up if you clean the barrel.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Spyker is right, but I read In Airgun World some big manufacturer did tests and saw that in the first 10cm or so of PCP barrels(from the loading side) there is rust that develops deep in the grooves of the rifling. One of the AGW reporters took his S400 and shot a 35 yards test group which measured about 12mm and he cleaned the barrel with VFG (I do not know if you get it locally) and then fired another test group and the result was a 7mm grouping and 20fps increase in velocity from 793 to 813fps. I reckon it might be the H20 vapour left in the air of the reservoir that causes this.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looks like it's just gonna take testing to see what is best for mine.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I cleaned the barrel of my Gamo 440 ussually about every 4000 pellets with a wire brush and I havent seen deteriotion in accuracy or any problems although I have to admit that I am not likely going to use it on my Diana. Clean your pellets (or just buy H &N pellets) and there wont be any problems or required cleaning for thousands of pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looks like another one of those unsloved mysteries of (Air)gunning, it might or might not work for you. As for damaging of the bore. I am not sure how hard the airgun barrels are but it is usually the rod (stay away from the non-plastic coated ones and make sure that the brush lines up poperly) that damages that barrel. If at all possible, put the rod trhough from the breech side or first stick the rod in and then screw the brush in from the breach side. All the brench rest guys do that. If the rod doesn't have a turnable handle, unscrew the brush by 1 turn so that the brush can turn with the rifle twist. The brush is supposed to be stiff as they made them for center fire .177 and some serious effort is needed to get rid or the fouling (using along with copper slovent). Don't worry if in right size, won't break the gun.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What makes the H &N pellets so helpfull in the cleaning process when compared to other pellets like JSB domes ?