Thread: Adjustable butt pad

Rest in Peace Uncle Alan 4/11/2016

User Info Menu

Default Adjustable butt pad

Race guns can be adjusted to fit the shooter, but who uses adjustable butt pads, cheek pieces etc on there field air rifles.

Factory stocks are designed to fit the average size person, me being 6ft plus with long arms I could never get comfortable with my rifles and only the bottom 3rd of the butt pad ever touched my shoulder.

With this in mind two months age I fitted a adjustable butt pad to my 97k, and the difference was a'mazing, when I shoulder the rifle my eye falls directly onto the scope without any moving around and the stock seems to fit like a glove. I've also seen a inprovement in my SFT scores since fitting the butt pad. Yesterday I fitted a second adjustable pad to my S400 with the same results.

So if you don't fall into that mr average size mould you may also benefit by fitting a adjustable pad, they are very easy to install, just takes a bit of filing and polishing to get a neat fit.

Last edited by alan decoy; 01-08-10 at 20:26. Reason: upload pics

Protea FT Team '09/'10
    National FT Champ '10

User Info Menu

Agreed fully, it appears that the ave European is a bit smaller than the ave South African.The adjustable butpad on my Theoben serves me well. Thats why I put a GinB stock on my 510 aswell.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have sort of learned to live with the length of pull on my rifles.

What I cannot stand is not having my stock meet my cheek so as to line up my scope properly.

I either have my cheek piece cut and turned into an adjustable cheek piece, much needed when using larger scopes and high mounts.

other than that I use, where possible the right height scope mount to suite my needs.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

Below is an extract from "Rifle Stocks - The Dummies Guide"

The law of averages - I'm going to start by telling you the stock on your air rifle was built to fit the average adult shooter. I call him Joe Average. He works for just about every airgun manufacturer. This means that the major dimensions of the stock were fashioned to fit a person that is 5' 6" to 5' 10" tall.
    Also a person that has average length arms, average length neck and face that's not too full in shape. If this description fits you to a "T" then you are in luck, you don't need the information contained in this tech article. If you're like me and not so average then read on.
    If you fall into the definition of non-average what you do when you shoot that stock designed for Joe Average is you compensate for the measurements that do not fit your body. If you are tall you bend your neck way over to gain a correct cheek placement. If you are shorter, you strain your neck to see the sights and struggle to reach the trigger because the buttstock is too long.
    All of these problems in stock fit lead to a loss in consistent accuracy. You need to be comfortable when you shoot. If the stock does not fit you, you won't be comfortable.
    Last edited by dutoitk; 01-08-10 at 19:23.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

Lost the original link, but here is a copy on the CAR website. Very informative.

http://www.capeairrifle.co.za/Downlo...es%20guide.pdf

Rest in Peace Uncle Alan 4/11/2016

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Yeti;227254]I have sort of learned to live with the length of pull on my rifles.
    I either have my cheek piece cut and turned into an adjustable cheek piece, much needed when using larger scopes and high mounts.

As yet I don't have enough courage to attack one of my rifle stocks with a band saw to cut out a adjustable cheek piece, the adjustable butt pad is a safe solution that achieves the same result, by lowering the butt pad you raise the position of the scope and cheek piece.