Thread: F-1 Chrony lamps

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Default F-1 Chrony lamps

I have a F1 Chrony.With all the rainclouds around I was wondering what sort of lamps I could use to get my Chrony to work indoors. I know you can buy Chrony lamps at the gun shops.Is there another way to make a plan ?I was thinking DC lamps might work as they dont flicker at 50Hz. :1zhelp

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Allan- I made the lights from 12v indicator bulbs and ran them of a alarm backup battery. Made a perpex cover (white) to focus the light down. The two covers slided onto the diffuser screens and it worked very well.
    With this setup I was getting more consistant readings than during daylight operation. Just make sure you switch all AC lights off when using the Chrony in this mode.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Thanx Lewis.I will give it a bash.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I use a 500w spotlight (one that uses a tube looking thing, I think it is Halogen tube) that I found in the back yard and just lay it on the ground pointing towards the ceiling of the corridor (both ceiling is white but the walls are darkish), good defussion of light that way and I don't even need a sky screen. With those spotlight, the tungsten wire gets so hot and stays hot, I don't think a power variation will mess up the light out put.

I was told that if the light source is not florence lamp type (they flicker), they usually work as long as the output is high so that the tungsten wire inside stays hot and is more reisitent to sudden change of power supply.

Only problem, the corridor gets very hot and I couldn't stand using it longer than 15min and I got the corner of my jacket burnt accidentally!

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I try my spotlights too.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

what i do is leave the sun diffuser on, and place a 60w desk lamp above each end. it works alright ...........

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

When using AC (altenating current) you will get inaccurate readings due to the lights "flashing" at 50/60 hz.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

maybe that's why i get ES of 8fps over 70 shots with the hornet