Thread: Field Target Rules

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Field Target Rules

Hi Everyone

Still deciding what rifle to buy and I have a few questions to ask before I make a decision.

Firstly on this site I found a link to the SAFTAA rules, but alas it is a .."page not found link". Can anyone point to me where I can get info on FT shooting, what it is about, rules etc? The SAFTAA site is not vey informative from the sense of someone trying to find out about the sport.

Some air rifles (FX's come to mind) have variable power settings, low, med and high. Bearing in mind the 12ft\lbs limit for FT, can this rifle still be used as long as one of the settings (low) falls in the 12ft\lb class and that setting is used in FT shoots?

Thanks.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm still working on the SAFTAA site, it's a work in progress.
    You can download the rules from the SAFTAA site under downloads.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

afaik, yes.............
    as long as you shoot @ sub 12ftlbs it's cool locally atleast.
    just be prepared to get churps from the guys re shooting HP

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think the rules say you must shoot at 12 and that the orginizers have the right to test you rifles output,so you can shoot at 20 but if you get caught you will be automatically disqualified.So better stick with 12 in formal events. I would love to get a FX or other PCP with adjustable power!

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

AirKing said it .You get caught you will be disqualified.Ziggi has shot at DBN and Leeuwkop with a FX Dominator set to sub 12 Ft/Lb (not sure of the rifle make and model).So I dont see a problem as long as you play by the rules .Ziggi did say to me that the gun shoots tighter groups on HP.Sub 12 Ft/Lb the guns grouping was nothing to write home about.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Not to mention the fact that you have to fiddle with the scope everytime you adjust the power of the rifle up or down. &| Some people like constant fiddling, but once my equipment is sorted I'm one of those 'Don't fix what ain't broken' types and like to leave it as is, unless there is a problem or you change pellets etc.
    If your plan is to get serious with FT my humble opinion is to get a dedicated 12ft rifle, if else it's your call.
    B.T.W. 12ft is ample power when hunting responsibly and ethically, check out the hunting threads.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for all the replies and info.

Must just state I have no intention of shooting FT on a higher than 12ft\lb setting, just that I want to know if a 'higher setting' capable rifle is allowed to be used in FT, naturally at the lower setting (12ft\lbs).

The AA S400 carbine is looking good for me............maybe the BAM51 though as a much cheaper starter!!

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Nothing against a Bam, just dont buy 1 to only go buy a better gan a few weeks later.AA S400 carbine not ideal if you want to shoot 50 consistant shots (its legs are a bit short )

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

get an AAs400 classic!!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Why is the AA S400 "legs a bit short? Sorry I do not understand in the context of FT shooting, in which I have no experience.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

there's a shoot this weekend and the next.........check for the details in the club activity section. come along and have a look/try a few setups....etc

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Larry,

The carbine has a limited amount of air due to its smaller cylinder capacity, and the short barrel needs more air to get the velocity so it struggles to get over 50 really good shots. The classic is more efficient so will give you a greater number of shots. There is no difference in accuracy between the two.

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Apr 18 2006, 09:37AM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Carbine normally gives 50 consistant shots (sweet spot) down to 150 bar. Classic gets 70,seteris paribus. FT range could be anything between 30 and 50 targets, 1 target = 1 shot. Carbine therefore no real problem,just have to start with full cylinder. I shoot both and I like both the same, carbine = better balance,classic = more shots per refill & heavier.
    Decisions, decisions... weighing towards classic for dedicated FT though..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks all you guys for the friendly advice...............now decisions, decisions.................I love it!! :;pat