Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Predator pellet in my foot!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Predator pellet in my foot!!!

Right, so there I was sitting on Saturday afternoon cleaning and oiling all my rifles. Finished polishing the Styer, the gasram and my Blue Streak, when I picked up my AA S410 Extra FAC.

The magazine was out and I just gave her a little oily rub all over on the outside when I decided to put a dab of grease on the cocking bolt. Rummaged around in my cupboard till I found the little tube of molybdenum grease. Pull the cocking bolt pack and smeared a little bit on the bolt with my finger.

Worked the action a couple of times to make sure it gets everywhere, nice and smooth. At this stage I was standing barefoot in the garage lovingly fondling the oiled wood savoring that aroma floating around. Those of you who oil their stocks will know what I?m talking about.

Anyway, I seemed to remember from the last hunting outing that the trigger needed some work. So without even thinking I touched the trigger?. BANG!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell!!!! Somebody just smashed my foot with a hammer!!! I look down and I see the hole on top and the blood pissing out!! I could not believe it. I?m always careful and there I go and shoot myself! How the hell did I manage to do that?

The thought did cross my mind to drop the rifle and scream blue murder but all that will do is damage my rifle. No way am I going to do that. Leaned over to the work bench and carefully laid the rifle down on the towel on top.

Right, now to survey the damage. Apart from the throbbing pain I sat down on my ass and looked for the exit wound at the bottom. Huh? Where did it go? There was no exit wound. Last time I had this rifle over the chrono it was doing 1050ft/sec with 8.4gr pellets. Surely at point blank range it should go right through? I mean it went through a Guinea Fowl at 80m.

Then it struck me! Last time I went hunting with Lewis I was using these newfangled ballistic tipped Predator pellets. I shot myself with one of those pellets. At 75c a pellet they are not cheap and there I go and waste one on my foot?.

To cut a long story short, I screamed for my girlfriend to take me to the hospital. The x-ray showed the pellet struck one of the bones in my foot and fragmented. Great! Little bits of lead floating around in my foot. Anyway, went to surgery and got a little bottle as a souvenir containing 25% of the pellet. The rest the doctor told me was to dangerous to remove.

Whats the moral of the story? DON?T USE PREDATOR PELLETS!!!!
    Actually no, check to make sure the rifle is safe before attempting to do anything!!!

I?ll be on crutches for a week or so but no permanent damage have been done.

Right, bring on the funny remarks!! :naughty

Here is the x-ray of my left foot. The triangle is the entry wound. Just shows you how far the pieces actually travelled after fragmenting!! :eek

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

holy sh@t... i couldn't believe what just happened to u... this is lesson for all of us.. hope u get fast and smooth recovery.

it's essential to check the direction of the muzzle b4 pull the trigger at all time.. i do that with all my guns.. from airsoft to real firearms.. just train to have a safety habit in mind.. that' why i hate walk with other people hugged with cocked rifle and the muzzle is not far way from my head in the hunting field...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That's the craziest shit dieter, man it looks sore, Speedy recovery okay!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looks like your going to have your feet up for the rest of the weekend anyway.
    Hope theres no complications man, not too much lead in there anyway.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

At least we know now that predator pellets mushrooms ok :rofl

Accidents happen so quickly, hope this AD will remind us all to be more safety conscious.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Strange that you mention the Preditors. I tried them on a 2 liter Coke bottle filled with water and at 30 meters they don't go through where all the other Gamo pellets went right through. Speedy recovery, drink some Scotsh for the pain, actualy for the sorrow.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well, I'll post a photo of the bits of lead they removed. They did get the red tip out by the way...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

holy cow spyker that looks sore

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by moose
    holy cow spyker that looks sore
    It was... trust me! :eek

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about the accidents, hope you get well soon. Can you get lead poisening from the bits of lead left in your foot ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Whoops wrong pellet, I was thinking of Promethius (Steel ball and plastic) Oh well, looks like your gona die from Lead poisoning Spyker. Can I have your Steyr, fancy going double barrelled....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I was wondering about that too. I don't think so. I mean how many guys are out there with shrapnell in them from 20 years ago?

I think you are more likely to absorb lead by swallowing a pellet.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No risk of lead poisoning. Small possibility of infection in the pellet tract. This would be unlikely with a normal bullet because of the heat it carries, which tends to act as a natural antibacterial when it penetrates the skin (which is covered with commensual organisms). Just keep an eye on it, and be wary of any redness and inflammation which persist after the wound has healed. The above being said, it shouldn't cause you any problems in the future though. Good luck and speedy recovery. My living room ceiling has a hole in it too thanks to a similar accident. It hurts my wife more than me though!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Spyker , all the best , just force the lesson you have painfully given yourself onto every one else .

BE CAREFULL !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Here's a pic of the pellet bits they took out of my foot. Sorry, a bit out of focus.