Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a sling

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Using a sling

Hi everyone, I've read that the using of a sling is allowed in FT and was wondering if it's a good idea to get one. If so, where can I get one? do they mount if for you? how much should I expect to pay? Cheers!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I would not recommend using a sling for FT. Most guys fit slings for carrying the rifle (on some ranges it must be in a bag/box if you are not shooting), so it comes down to personal choice. Be very carefull in your selection of a "sling fitter".

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Another good idea is to ask around for a tactical sling. You won?t have to worry about having sling mounts fitted. The tac slings are adaptable and can fit a variety of rifles.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Palerider,There are a couple of slings that can and was made to increase steadiness quite a bit when taking standing shots, so if you have trouble with standing shots you might benefit fom them,BUT i dont know if I will be able to let someone drill holes in the stock of my MK3 (if I had one)!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks AirKing. It's about those standing shots. I'm not even sure if a sling will really work. Have never tried one? How many standing shots are there on average at one of these FT shoots anyway?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think a sling is a great help in hunting, seeing as I don't shoot fieldtarget asof yet, I can't say how it works for fieldtarget.

But for hunting it works very good, I use my sling on my 30.06 all the time when hunting to steady myself on long shots or standing shots. It's helped me with a few headshots that I don't think I would have made without it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enzace
    ..seeing as I don't shoot fieldtarget asof yet..
    When is that going to change, eh? :blueyes

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

On a 30 target course you might get 3 standers. My motto is look at what the pro's (FT) are doing and go from there, none of them use slings for FT.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

We always used slings back in the day of high school rim fire shooting. Makes a big difference when you try to hit a the 10 ring (I think it is about 3mm) at 25m. The thing is normal slings don't work that well, a target sling is only attached to only the fore-end of the rifle and only goes around the left arm, it is much wider as well. In order to make it fit, you will pobably need a shooting jacket (there is a loop for the sling) to keep it in place. If the sling is well fitted, you should be able to hole the rifle stable enough without using you right hand. Many think slings don't work because it is not of proper fit and you will have to play with the stud position a bit to get it right (just how many people are willing to drill a few holes in the stock to check if one will work?). Best bet is to get a set of adjustable sling rail (go ask the gunsmiths if they have those Bisley rifle sling rails, most have a $hit load of them). The other problem is that the best place to place a sling stud seems to be where all the FT guys put their knee rest thing for sitting position.

Beside, iF it does work for you, you can always put it away.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

think i'll give it a miss for now. Stopper thanks for the info. It sounds to me like you'd rather use it for 10m target shooting or something like that rather than FT.

One more question. Are shooting jackets allowed in FT? I can't see the point if there's only about three standing shots in a shoot.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Shooting jackets are not allowed. Go to the SAFTAA site and download the rules which will make things a lot clearer.
    http://www.saftaa.co.za/downloads.aspx

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

sling def helps re standing and kneeling shots and some times even sitting as well. it's just such a mission adj the sling for diff shooting/target positions.........and iirc the rule says the sling can't be adj after the start of the shoot?

as Lewis mentioned above, most people use it only for carrying the rifle between lanes. esp. physical courses like NW

winner or no1. loser is often decided by just 1 target

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Okay i get it. urabus, 1 target deciding the outcome. Is this where one guy gets say all 30 for 100% and another miss out on one taget giving him 96% or do they average closer to say 90% (3 missed)? I guess what i'm trying to ask is how often do you see 100% scored?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

not very often i suppose, but most of the time the top guys miss only 1 or 2 targets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

urabus, do you drive a WRX?