Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What make of scope do you use on your Field Target rifle ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default What make of scope do you use on your Field Target rifle ?

I would like to know what make of scope you use on your FT rifle and why that make.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I use the Lynx because it has mil dots and 50 mag zoom.You can get real close to the kill zone.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've got the Leupold / Premier 20-50x50. It's the best scope I could afford at the moment and I wanted a top quality piece of glass on top of the Steyr!

Allan, do you actually shoot on 50x?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Who voted Schmidt & Bender and Carl Zeiss??

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Ye Who voted Zeiss .

Spyker the short answer is yes.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

The only Schmidt & Bender i have seen was on the RWS 500 and it has now been replaced with the Lynx.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i've got the nikko 10-50 X 60

because...........

most importantly, its range finding ability = excellent........... not many scope can match it...........the ones that do cost 2X + more.......

it focus down to 10m
    side focus
    good optics
    good repeatability/quality...etc (1 year on, no probs)
    avilable locally.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i got the hawk. 3-9x50. not very zooty... i always rush into things. a little mistake but it got me through my first shoot okay. learning curve sounds like a good excuse. now im open to sugestions for something solid but affordable.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gotta Lynx 10-50*60

Enjoying the 50 mag for rangefinding.
    Plus I fell in love with the NATO reticle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

define affordable?????

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

urabus, is there anything for say arround 4k? maybe ill have to wait a while if the improvement is too incremental. save a little more? .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I wanted to put more options but it seems like you can only make 10. Spyker is that correct ?

By the way I have a Weaver Grand Slam 4.5 - 14 x 40 in Silver that I got as a gift from a friend of mine in America and I have to say it is one of the clearest scopes I have ever seen.

I used it on my 30.06 and I have only seen one scope with better clarity and that is the Carl Zeiss, but look at the price. Do any of you guys know if you can buy Weaver scopes in SA ? And if so where and how mutch ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

the big 10-50 X 60's are around the 4-5K mark..........best option imho..........else you are looking at the boosted leupolds (if you can find one) or the fixed power competiton series eg. 35X45. still....... even with the competition series, you still need to get a close focus adaptor? or get it reparalaxed at the factory, and there's no multi-aim point ret option..........not even leupold custom shop can help. on top of all that......... we are talking about 10+K.

i've heard good things re optics burris sig select 8-32 and bushnell elite 4200 8-32...........but they are not really available locally, and iirc both comes with semi-target turrets only (not really ideal for FT). also, bushnell don't do the 8-32 with mildots and the burris, unless you can find old stock airgun/rim fire spec, they can't focus down to 10m.

that's why.........if you look at the scope constructors list of FT competitions all over the world you will find the 10-50 X 60 (BSA/Nikko/Lynx) to be the most popular.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

no point in going for anything over the big Lynx in my opinion....

if we are talking binoculars or telescopes then it's a different matter altogether....I love my Swarovski binos and my Canon 15X50 image stabilizing binos.

To spend 10k or more on a telescopic sight that you spend maybe 20 seconds at a time aiming thru seems like complete extravagance and overkill.
    So what if the edges of the image are not completely in focus etc etc...as long as the settings are repeatable, the construction is sturdy etc then its a good scope.
    I do not use telescopic sights for birding or stargazing ...big money is better spent on premium binos or astronomical telescopes in my opinion.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I use the Leupold because it is the best scope I have, period.
    However, when I go out next time to shop for a dedicated FT scope it will be for the big Nikko/Lynx/Zos no doubt.