Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silencer?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Silencer?

Hi all.

I bought a Gamo 610 air rifle today from bulldog.co.za and i must say im impressed with it.However i asked the guy there Geoffery, if he could supply me with a silencer for the air rifle, as i would like to shoot some targets in my backyard, but i do not want to pee off the neighbours, although most of them are pritty cool, but some im not sure about.

Im sure they wont mind, but just to be on the safe side.Geoffery offered me a screw on type of silencer with an integrated adapter for R195.

Do anyone of you have a silencer on your spring rifles, and does it remove enough noise that is significant to warrant me buying one.

I know they do not completely remove the noise, and he couldnt tell me just how much noise reduction there is (decibels) since the manufacturer havnt actually stated this themselves.

Whats the feelings from those who have them?

Thanks alot

Veer

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well I don't know about springers but with my BAM 50 before I had the silencer it sounded like a .22. After I fitted the Woodchuck silencer I can tell you I will shoot without almost any noise.

If I shoot in a open field while hunting I have taken 3 pigeons at about 50m before the other came around that something was wrong. In a closed area like a back yard you will still have some noise but it fill be far less than without the silencer.

Just make sure it's a good make and ask people have bought that model what they think about it.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

VeerVortex , I have 1 on my Gamo 440.It makes no real improvement on the noise.The springs noise is so load you hardly notice the lower mmuzzle blast.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with Allan, silencers are useless on a springer. Spend your money on something else rather.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also have an old Gamo 440 and brought a Woodchuck silencer for R215 that fits over the front sight and then gets tightened with three grub screws, you can also adjust elevation with the grub screws but on mine there is no facility to adjust windage(so that the pellet passes perfectly through the tunnel), for some unknown reason the silencer always points to the left and the pellets just scrape the end of the silencer killing accuracy. If have tried to remedy this but without success.
    I would not recommend a silencer on a springer unless the gun has already been tuned and still makes a lot of muzzle noise.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

not quite so fast guys....get someone to stand 20m away and listen while you shoot the springer with and without the silencer and see if there is a difference...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just remember that it is illegal to shoot in a built up area!

I did extensive tests with silencers on various rifles and you will be wasting money with a silencer on the Gamo. Rather put that money towards a better scope.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido, I would rather spend the money on silencing the internal mechanical noise than trying to silence the muzzle blast.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Guido, the mechanical noise of the spring is heard mostly by the shooter, but muzzle blast is heard mostly by those standing ahead of the barrel. So to the shooter a silencer on a springer SEEMS to make no difference.

Point taken about shooting in a built-up area, but for argument sake if one were to be sitting on a farm indoors with the barrel poking out of the window, much of the mechanical spring noise would be kept indoors and mostly muzzle blast would be heard outdoors, which is where a silencer would have benefit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I had silencer fitted on my qd36-2...

well.. it worked at certain level... i will say it quiet down 30% entire noise

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Look I'm not saying it won't work. I'm merely saying there are better things to spend your money on.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

my experience...........shooting springer without silencer.......dogs get irritated and barks...etc
    springer with silencer, dogs carry on...................

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Boondock, what scope and mounts are on that QB36, and how did they shape up under recoil?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

huffnpuff.. scope was the tasco 4-16x40AOE with 1 piece mount... scope took more than 5000 impacts from that qb36-2... no problem at all...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In my case there was also a reduction in the noise in front of the gun,but it wasnt that much, I think also in the of 30%.