Thread: Side wheel for Nikko Stirling

CZ's Avatar CZ

Default Side wheel for Nikko Stirling

I am looking to put a biggerwheel on my NS 6X24X44 paralax adjustment ...but i have seen that the standard asjustment knb has got a bit of wabblyness on it NOT IF YOU TURN IT BUT IF YOU WIGGLE IT UP AND DOWN... so by putting a bigger wheel on it makes it look LOOSE due to the fack that there is now more PLAY on the wheel THE FOCUS IS STILL SPOT ON JUST THE WHEEL FEELS LOOSE

IS THIS NORMAL ?! ?! ?! ?! ?! ?! ?! ?! ?! ?! ?! ?!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have also expirenced this and it seems to be normal on these scopes.

CZ's Avatar CZ

So i take it it is NOT BROKEN..wonder why it is like that

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

It is like that because the scopes are built (down) to a price. If you want the gimmicks cheap then something has to give.

CZ's Avatar CZ

Dale but is NS not a fairly good scope

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Yes, but when you deal with any budget scope, the more features you want for a low price the simple fact is that overall quality has to be compromised in order to provide the package.

The Diamond range from NS are built to a higher standard but you pay considerably more, so with the lower price scopes expect tolerances to not be as tight and overall build and optical quality will reflect the price tag.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Where did you buy the Sidewheel for the NS 6-24x44 and what did it cost ? I also want to buy one.

kellya's Avatar kellya

Arnold, the backlash and "wobble" seem to be commonplace with the Nighteater range. My 6-24x56AG suffers from exactly the same maladie, but as you correctly stated, is does not seem to effect the accuracy of the readings that it provides. The one thing that i have trained myself to do is, to take the paralax all the way to 10m and then obtain a clear image from a lower setting and not the other way around ie. i dont take it to infinity and then range upwards for a clear picture. All this does is maintain consistency from on direction. I have found that if done from the opposite side of the wheel, inconsistancies do occur. I have been told not to worry unduly about the play on the wheel as there is not much you can do about it.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the wobble can be fixed quite easily using a plastic shim...all the Zos scopes have it too...

CZ's Avatar CZ

I have made mine myself ... i got hold of one of these rolls of card board (THE ONE THAT LOOK LIKE A TOILET ROLL BUT IS MUCH BIGGER... LIKE THE ONE LIKE THE ONE YOU GET WHEN YOU BUY A PAINTING OR HOUSE PLANS) it has got 2 plastic sides that is about 80mm round and the hole in the centre fits EXACTLY on the paralax wheel!!!!!!1 NO MODS ARE NEEDED

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

CZ the shim goes inside the small parallax and not between the large and small parallax wheel.

The small parallax wheel on it's own also has the wobble...

CZ's Avatar CZ

Yes guido the small paralax wheel on the side has the PLAY ... not when you turn it but when you take it in you index finger and thum and wiggle it from side to side... can that paralax thing come off or can it be pulled off????????????????

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yes...you remove the small parallax wheel and put a plastic washer shim between it and the scope body.

CZ's Avatar CZ

OK BUT .... HOW DO I TAKE IT OF???????????