Thread: Scope Delemma

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Scope Delemma

Hi guys.

i took all your advices about the silencer posting of mine and rather went an d bought a Ultraoptec 4x32 Compact 15mP scope.

I have set the scope up with Hawke LOW-Match Mounts, but when i fire my shots at a target from about 15m away from a target, the shots always seem to go to the left and slightly below my crosshair(the point i was aiming at), as if my barrel is pointing slightly leftish of my scope sight which is slightly rightish.

I dont know how to fix this problem.Ive spent 6 hours doing and undoing the screws on my mounts that hold the scope to try and bring the scope slightly leftish by tightening the left side more than the right side, but to no avail.Shots are never meeting my crosshair point.Always to the left and slightly below my aim.

How does this work.It cant have anything to do with the mounts that attach to the rail of the gun, because they simply fit into the grooves that are theri for the rail.Its not like i can force them slightly left or right.

Also, please explain how it works.Should the scope be aligned facing slightly downwards from my eye view into it to the front of the scope, (in other words tighten the front of the scope stronger to pull it down more) so that it intercepts the line the rifle barrel follows.Surely if it were perfectly perpendicualr to the barrel, when i shoot , my crosshair would be targeting a posisiton above where my shot will go, seeing as though the line the pellet follows is below the line im looking at through my crosshair.

Im a newbie and need help desperately.

PS:The instruction booklet for the scope doesnt even match my model i have so its difficult to follow them on the instructions

Thanks

Veer

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sounds like you need to go & sit with Jason or one of the guys at a range , let him help you . From your story description , some thing does'nt sound right . Are you using the alignment screws to move the cross hair left & right ?
    Difficult to comment , but I think an "old" hand getting the rifle on the bench , with tools , shimstock if needed & a tin of quality pellets will be a great help . Try not to over tighten any mounts , you dont want to distort the tube , otherwise it'll never work properly . I think you'll find these people on this forum are some of the kindest in the world ,as far as helping out fellow shooters .
    Dont be embarresed to ask , before you bugger it up !
    Only spyker will dispute this , he has more than his fair share of leg pulling !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That should be "foot pulling"... :P

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Had the same problem with my N/S and a pair of sport mach mounts. I also changed the combination of the mount about 50 times but nothing helped. So I took it to our gunsmith and the next morning the problem was sorted. No cutting or welding he simply put the mount in the right combination and as far apart as possible and the scope was dead center. So yes I would agree, take it to someone that knows.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Veer
    Have you adjusted the elevation turret and windage to the point of aim? Suppose you have, then you may have a problem and need to look at alternative mounts.
    Another option is to shim the scope. I had the same problem with scope mounts. If the POI is left of the point of aim, the FRONT of the scope must be moved into the fault. Correct this by inserting a strip cut from a soda can and inserting it on the left hand side of the rear mount. Tighten screws. Hope it helps

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

where did you guys who had your scopes worked on by professionals go.Which gunsmiths do these?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The gunsmith i use is in Vanderbijlpark

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brendon, Where do you live