Thread: Cleaning Barrel

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning Barrel

Can anyone help with some advice.
    How often do you need to clean the barrel of you PCP airrifle?
    What do you people out there use?

What about the pellet lubes?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A lot of people find that the POI(Point of Impact) changes after cleaning the barrel and it needs to be "leaded up" again before things are back to normal.(Back to square one) What would make your barrel dirty? You are not burning powder.
    I haven't cleaned my S400 barrel in ages and I don't lube my pellets any longer. I think it is a gimmick. Might be why I shoot so badly though. Might consider cleaning it after a year or so.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Very controversial subject- anything from bronze brushes, felt cleaning pellets to not cleaning at all. At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and testing what your rifle prefers.
    Lubing of pellets- same story- if your rifle likes it do it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've found the cleaning kit with bronze brushes to be a mission. Now I take a piece of fishing gut, put a small well oiled cloth at the one end and just pull it through twice. About once every 1500 pellets should do it, depending on the type of pellet you are using. Some can be dirtier than others.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I use a nylon brush with Medical Spirits about every 2000 pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you need something to pull through the barrel you can use one spagetti from a clean spagetti mop.

whistler's Avatar whistler

I use the much same recipe as BadCarma. But vary the rate of cleaning from 1000 to 2000. I do wash the pellets so they are pretty clean anyway

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I don't clean my barrel.
    Don't wash, lube or sort pellets either.
    Waste of time and money in my opinion.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

if you are using air arms, FX, daystate or JSB exact pellets i wouldnt clean your barrel only maby when you get a brand new gun there might be some factory gunk in it that might need to be cleaned out.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with moose, when I got my BAM 50 there was like a orange grease in the barrel and I cleaned it out but it took a while to get all that crap out of the barrel.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I had to clean the barrel of my BAM and my Hatsan, both had a coating of thick grease inside the barrel. I didn't start getting decent accuracy with the BAM until after I cleaned the barrel.

I'm using JSB Exact pellets now that are already lubricated, I don't believe that I'll need to clean my barrel again using these.

The grease in my Hatsan was so thick I could only remove it with a strong caustic chemical that turned the grease into soap, as a nylon brush with CRC oil would not shift the grease at all.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

very controversial subject...

I would suggest lubing pellets with either Pledge Wax furniture spray or Shooters Choice FP10.

JSBs and H&Ns are very clean, Crosmans need washing in meths.

I have used pull thrus many times in my barrels but I do not really think they are cleaning anything out...they come out black because of the tiny residual of lead dust in the barrel...that's all.

In very high power airguns there may be some leading up in the barrel but lubing especially with FP10 should diminish this.

If in doubt just don't clean your barrels...and never ever put a bronze brush thru an airgun barrel!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I clean my airgun barrels with a pull through and some cloth patches soaked in medical spirits. I then lightly lubricate them with a oily patch. I must add that I only do this when accuracy starts to deteriorate.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Now I take a piece of fishing gut, put a small well oiled cloth at the one end and just pull it through twice.

Whenever I feel the need to clean the barrel (dis nou nie dieselfde as LOOP skoonmaak nie) I take 2 pieces of fishing line, with the cleaning cloth in the middle, allowing me to pull it both ways, so without effort I could pull it through as many times I like or until the piece of cloth comes out clean.
    :rolling