User Info Menu

Default Smoking, Diet and fitness

How do these affect your shooting form?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Not at all

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Smoking stuffs up your breathing and heart rate.
    If you have metabolic syndrome ( Diabetes; Hypertension; Cholestrol) then eating at regular intervals and the right foods will keep your hand steady and concentration levels up.

Fitness levels not so much, IMHO. I dont exercise anymore. Working on my pap sak instead of six pack. Can still kick Chuck Norris ass even if he is fitter than me.
    Last edited by Jay D; 17-09-10 at 10:00.

Protea FT Team '09/'10
    National FT Champ '10

User Info Menu

In shooting stability is key. Blood sugar balance is crucial. As one grows older you will notice that the effect is amplified. Miss a meal and you become shaky and a bit grumpy.

To fuel yourself with low GI food during a long shooting event is crucial.
    Last edited by Jan The Man; 17-09-10 at 10:03.

Rest In Peace Uncle John

User Info Menu

What JD & SD say is absolutely true - believe me, I know.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If you excersize your core muscles and legs you'd obviously be allot more stable as these are the muscle's you use most in shooting very similar to Paintballing....just less running and baseball sliding

And obviously cardio excersize is always good to get that heart rate down as you get fitter

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you're a smoker "you'll need tha weed!"

Wouldn't help to start shaking for the lack of your fix!

Blood sugar levels can not be over-emphasized, it needs to be stable and stay stable.

Core stability is very important and should get the required attention.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

In shooting stability is key
    Damn! then guys like me and Jannie should rule (no offence intended Jan!)

What I have seen is that your position of choice is a very big factor. You need to sit with what you are comfy. Anythign else and you are a dead duck in the water. I can shoot both knee and arm but cant do deadman. If I could I would cause it is inherantly the most stable position. How do I know. Cause when I can get into it and find the target the corss hairs dont move. And when the wind blows the dead men here by us get better scores. Fact. However. You need to not take the most stable possy., but rather the one that you are comfy with. Even if it is not as stable as Deadman you still need to aquire the target and knock it over. And for you to do that you need to be relaxed and comfortable. The rest is not an issue.

To summarise, I dont think any of the three affects you as much as you affect yourself. I for instance get much more variation when I get worried about my shooting or worried about conditions or a equipment etc than I do otherwise. How do we know that. Well go sit on the range and plink. How many of you have not wished you could shoot so well on the day of the shoot? Standers for instance. Untill I can coach my subconscious that I can do them I will alway battle in comps. When I leave the reange I can generally get all the 20mm @ 20m or even 40mm @ 40m without issues. I however freek out when I see a 20mm at 10m or even a open at 20m in a comp. And I miss them most times.

So what I am saying is that worry less about what you eat, drink or how fit you are. Get BMT. it will count for much more than the other two. Obviously if you cant walk up the hill cause you are too unfit then you will have more serious problems than not being able to take the shot

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

True JT!

Shooting is as much about self confidence as any other factor.

If you're confident, you're relaxed. Then the targets fall, which make you more confident.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You should know the proverb " 'n gesonde liggaam huisves 'n gesonde gees" If your body is healthy and fit the BMT and psycological fitness will be achieved easier. If you are unfit and you walk up a hill, your mind is already telling you, you are going to have problems shooting that stander or kneeler that awaits you. Getting fit, eating right, smoking less will do you more good than harm.

One thing that I have noticed is when you drink a soda colddrink or some energy drinks, stuffs up your blood sugar levels and you get the shakes, heart beat goes up and the blood pressure also rises, giving you an unstable physical shooting condition.

In some other thread this came up as well and it was said that there is some overweight guys that shoots well. My answer, what if he got his/her body fit, how well will he be able to shoot then. It is a combination of physical and mental fitness and the better you exercise them the more beneficial it will be for your shooting performance.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

One thing that I have noticed is when you drink a soda colddrink or some energy drinks, stuffs up your blood sugar levels and you get the shakes, heart beat goes up and the blood pressure also rises, giving you an unstable physical shooting condition.
    it is strange Francois. This seems to differ from person to person. for me yes. stay away from energy drinks. I dilute them. Gary drinks a couple of litres of pure energade whiles he shoots. It just improves his scores. Robbie at the nationals ate a bar one half way during the shoot and he did not miss a target after that. If he ate it at the start of the last day he would be wearing a green jacket now

Moral of the story. go sit at the practice range and see what effects what foods have on you. Then verify it a couple of times. Some people need almost pure sugar. Some need everythign but!

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have 2 positions from which I shoot, depending on my heart rate, wind (depending on the chilli sauace) and the like. Both equally effective.

Mutango proved to me that fitness plays an important role in keeping you calm, esp under physically challenging environments.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JT, yeah you are right. I just found if I drink a colddrink or an energy drink or eat a choccie, I can pack up for the rest of the day. I have seen it a number of times in the past so it is a no-no for me.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Same here Francois. I eat the nuts energy bar from "Jungle" and drink my energade about 50% diluted. No more than a bite and a swallow at a time and always only when I finished shooting a lane and dont need to shoot again straight away. This gives me maybe 10minutes to egt over the possible "shock'

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The secret is to find what works for YOU.

And never experiment at a competition. Stick to what you always do.

The game we're playing is one of consistency, keep as many things the same at all times.

Enforce good habits with repetition.

Some people will use sugar and get an increased pulse and blood pressure.

Others will have a short term sugar spike leading to a sugar low as soon as insulin starts countering the sugar in the blood.

You have to find what works for you.