Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Reducer

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Pellet Reducer

The guys looking for the heavy 5.0mm Eunjins got me thinking and it was a bit slow in the morning, so I got to play a bit in the workshop. I also cannot get those Eunjins to group at all.

I made a "Pellet Reducer" to reduce 5.5mm pellet down to 5.1mm. More to proof a point than anything else. These are very basic and not intended for producing lots of pellets. For that one should consider a more efficient design.

See Album. https://www.airrifle.co.za/album.php?albumid=738

Below is an explanation of what is going on there.

Firstly, this is the tapered reamer I bought for reaming the barrel ports. I used this to ream the Pellet Reducer hole so that the exit is exactly 5.1mm. Because it is tapered it also gradually reduce the pellet to the correct size.

Reamer.

Pellet Reducer

I assembled the reducer and the holder on my woodwork bench. Placed some bubble wrap below for a soft landing for the pellets.

By placing the pellet carefully in the reducer and then using the punch and hammer slowly tap the pellet through. When they come out the other side they look like this. The pellet sides (head and skirt) gets flattened a little to the correct size of 5.1mm.

Left to right

Standard 5.0mm, 13.7gr
    Reduced 5.5mm, 16gr (before & After)
    Reduced 5.5mm, 18gr (before & After)

For testing I did not change anything on the rifle or scope, only the pellets. The aiming point was always the center.

Then it was play time......

A.
    I shot a 10 shot string at 30m over the chrony with the Standard JSB Diabolo Exact, 5mm, 13.7gr.

See the excel file below and the target photo in the album, top left. Not bad and there was a bit of wind gusting around also.

B.
    Then I took the "reduced" 5.5mm AA Diabolo Field, 16gr's and shot them. I did not weigh them again. Shot 10 shots over the chrony.

See the excel file below and the target photo in the album, top second from left.

C.
    Then I took the "reduced" 5.5mm AA Diabolo Field, 18gr's and shot them. I did not weigh them again. Shot 10 shots over the chrony.

See the excel file below and the target photo in the album, top second from right.

I think the one pellet that went low was me.

D.
    Lastly I again shot a string with the Standard 5.0mm JSB's, top right.

All groupings are ten shots. I think the photo's and chrony string speak for themselves. If you want heavy 5mm pellets, lots of time etc then give it a go.

Finaly I also tried to reduce some JSB Exact Monsters. They did not work because the skirt became to long and thin. When you try to chamber them they get distorted.

Last edited by Wannebe; 05-08-12 at 20:31.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Well described, even an ignoramus like me understands .....because it was not written in kitchen English!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Well described, even an ignoramus like me understands .....because it was not written in kitchen English!

Huh ..... now I must be stupid.

Sharp Shooter
    ARF Member Of The Year 2011

User Info Menu

Toemaar Wannabee, jy was konsrtuktief besig in jou werkswinkel terwyl daar iewers op die forum ge-wharra was oor taalgebruik
    Stunning plan and excellent results! Boer maak 'n plan

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DvdM View Post
    Toemaar Wannabee, jy was konsrtuktief besig in jou werkswinkel terwyl daar iewers op die forum ge-wharra was oor taalgebruik
    Stunning plan and excellent results! Boer maak 'n plan

Thanks. Was not really trying to make a plan of sorts. I was just out to prove whether it could or could not be done.

Seems to work.

Sharp Shooter
    ARF Member Of The Year 2011

User Info Menu

Wannabe, check this out:
    http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress...pellet-sizing

He only shows part of his die though.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks DvdM, very interesting. Maybe those 5.5 / 5.0 shot well because they were all the same size ??

If I have to say so myself, but my pellets came out with less marks on them.

I used a reamer (the same one as for reaming the ports in the barrel) to ream the hole to size after I've drilled it. This also create a nice taper for the pellet to be resized gratualy.

The only "trick" is that when one "load" the pellet for sizing one must ensure that the pellet does not sit scew to start of with. If it does then the pellet get sized "scew" (difficult to explain but I'm sure you get it )
    Last edited by Wannebe; 19-09-10 at 14:30.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

..... forgot to mention ......

I also reamed the hole from both sides. More from the back. That way it created I definate ridge in the hole that maybe also help with the pellets coming out nice and clean.

(The Smallest diameter "sits" inside the hole, it is not the exit edge)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

.... should also add. I did the reaming in the lathe so it came out nice and center from both sides.

Also would not want to make more than one. This is a once off handmade custom job that I will not be able to reproduce to the tolereances required. I reamed, "resized apellet", test for loading in the barrel (repeat a couple of times) untill it was just perfect.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Updated the album & the write-up a bit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I missed this interesting thread completely.
    Very well explained swaging of pellets.
    I am interested in swaging bullets, but have done nothing about it yet (270 to 260).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JSB kan maar gerus vir ons mense wat van .20 cal hou jsb monsters uit bring hoop dit gebeur darm eendag voor ek my kop neerle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

بيليه المخفض:
    هل هذه المجموعة للبيع إذا كان حجم 5.5 ملم

Pellet Reducer:
    Is this set for sale if the size is 5.5 mm

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

No

REP: WS Airguns

User Info Menu

Wannebe inspired me to make myself such a reducer.....

Reduced JSB 18.13gr 5.52mm to 5.1mm

And JSB 25.39gr 5.52 to 5.1mm

Accuracy tests on the 18.13gr will soon commence.
    Last edited by wimpie swart; 22-06-18 at 12:01.