Thread: BEST distance adjustment?

CZ's Avatar CZ

Default BEST distance adjustment?

WHAT is the best distance in setting in your pcp ... is it 10m... 15m... 20m...25m...30m...35m...40m... 45m...50m :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp
    WHAT DO THE PRO'S THINK

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Are you planning on dialling in or using mil-dots?

CZ's Avatar CZ

DIALING IN

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I like 25m to zero my rifles. If you shoot at 750-800Ft/sec with 8 or 8.5 g pellets, 25m is the peak(apex) of the trajectory of your pellet which is also your line of sight. You will then only have to adjust up and down between zero(25m) and 50m. The trajectory will reach your LOS at 18m and stay there up to +- 28m, give or take for 2 or 3 clicks.(Down from 10m to 18m, on the cross up to 28m and up again for 30,35,40,45,50 which in a lot of cases will correspond with your settings between 10m and 28m) I hope you are not more confused. I am not the best teacher this side of the of the Orange river.

CZ's Avatar CZ

SO... if i put a target at say... 10mtrs and tune my paralux till it is in focus then shoot till i get centre ... mark it on my gun and move the target to 15mtrs and do the same untill i get to 50mtrs is that also OK
    :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp :1zhelp

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thats right. That is called dialing in.
    You don't have to zero your rifle at a specific distance first, because you are changing the zero everytime you turn the elevation dial.

CZ's Avatar CZ

You don't have to zero your rifle at a specific distance first, because you are changing the zero everytime you turn the elevation dial. PLAESE EXPLAIN... if my gun is zero at 10mtrs and i shoot and the target is 35mtrs away and i adjust to 35mtrs and shoot when i am finished i then bring the dial back to 10mtrs ... so my settings are always back to zero i find that easy to remember where my zero is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm referring to what Gerrief said.

Your post "10mtrs and tune my paralux till it is in focus then shoot till i get centre ... mark it on my gun and move the target to 15mtrs and do the same untill i get to 50mtrs" is correct.

CZ's Avatar CZ

Thank you
    Are you comming on sunday???? :rocker :rocker
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon May 08 2006, 01:17PM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

FWIW, even if you are going to use the dialling system I would advise that you choose a distance to achieve a set 'zero' that you can then organise your dialling from that point.

For instance I zero my FT rifles for a distance of 35 yards and set my turrets to zero, I then shoot targets out to 55 yards and back to 8 yards (in 5 yard increments, although from 20 yards down to 8 yards I tend to use 1 yard increments), adjusting my elevation turret to achieve centre of crosshair strikes and making a note of the settings to achieve this.

From this data I develop my dial chart that gets stuck into the eyepiece Butler Creek cap on my scope. By having a zero point you have a datum by which you can monitor your rifles performance, also I always do my rangefinding from my datum point (if the lenses are in a different position in the tube this can alter the point at which the focus is achieved - this was proved to me when I moved my Mk4 from my Pro-T to my S400 and required re-zeroing, after which the range marks no longer lined up and needed recalibrating), so by always using the same point you are adding an extra level of consistency.

Now by zeroing at 35 yards I need to dial up and down, but this is not a problem as you can learn to live with it, in fact after a while you should instinctively know your trajectory and the dial chart is there to confirm your memory.

I have noticed that some people over here (UK) manage to make a real pigs ear of dialling marks, counting clicks and so on. On the scopes I use the turrets are clearly marked out in MOA, so my dialling data is expressed in MOA so no need to count clicks just dial in the adjustment and get on with it.

Regards

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon May 08 2006, 01:42PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Defenitely!! :thumbsup

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also like to have a zero point. Spyker is correct in saying that you zero for every shot when you dial. I currently use masking tape on my turret. I thus always have a point where I put the 25m mark of the tape on the turret and can almost do the rest of the settings by hart up to 50m.
    I think having a "crip note" is actually easier though. Just this week-end, I thought of returning to that method of dialing, again. I would be dialing to say 6.4 meaning 6 MOA+4 clicks for 50m etc.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I have never tried dialing .I however worry that if I do try it I will make a mess of it.You dont need to end up 1 complete turn out.I have seen people shrow points away and hell I need every point I can get.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Allan,

It is simply a case of training yourself into a routine: rangefind the target, dial the distance setting, shoot, then return the dial to your datum zero, range next target.

Really no different to training yourself to adopt an FT stance or cocking and loading the rifle - it just strikes me that a lot of shooters don't perceive it in this light and get all jittery about the idea.

Dialling for range is a simple procedure, but, some folks will overly complicate the system and that is where problems start. Keep the system simple and there is no problem.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Deadlinkskig_menu/_imagefiles/dial_chart.jpg[/img]
    My dialling chart. The table was generated using Microsoft Excel, then printed to the right size, laminated and stuck into the eyepiece cap of my scope. The dial values are expressed in MOA so for example the 50 yard dial of 4.50 means four and a half MOA. You will note that distances 18-30 yards require downward dials hence the - prefix to the values.

Deadlinkskig_menu/_imagefiles/55yard_dial.jpg[/img]
    The dial turret on my Mk4 set for a 55 yard dial, 6MOA above the 35 yard 'datum' zero. The calibrations on the turret are 1 MOA on the major numbered values with quarter MOA minor graduations.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue May 09 2006, 09:12AM ]</span>